topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: What are your favorite movies?  (Read 109361 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What are your favorite movies?
« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2013, 09:47 AM »
Switching gears for a second, does anybody find movies that take place in subways or on trains (or in train stations) particularly enjoyable like I do?

Check out that movie The Hunted with Christopher Lambert and John Lone.  They have a train scene that might cure you of that...  It's a good movie.  But that train scene was really intense...

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #101 on: March 13, 2013, 09:49 AM »
I saw a Jean-Claude Van Damme flick - or maybe it was Stephen Segal - same stuff, different name ---- it was on a train. Pretty bad movie. Good for 14 year old boys though.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2013, 11:01 AM »
^ For me it's not enough to have a train scene or have the train be just another locked room gimmick. It has to be an integral element to the story. Von Ryan's Express for example. Or  The Great Train Robbery. In those, the train introduced unique elements that much of the plot depended on.  

The subway fascinates me because I (along with a few equally daft friends) used to be an avid "abandoned," "lost" and "hidden places" explorer back in my college days. It was a very enjoyable hobby that made it almost too easy to get yourself arrested - or even killed. (You soon discovered that better than half those DANGER! KEEP OUT signs were put there for very good reasons.) Anybody stupid and ballsy enough to go crawling around in places you'd probably definitely be better off staying away from will understand what I'm saying here.  
 ;) 8) ;D :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 11:18 AM by 40hz »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2013, 11:02 AM »
I saw a Jean-Claude Van Damme flick - or maybe it was Stephen Segal - same stuff, different name ---- it was on a train. Pretty bad movie. Good for 14 year old boys though.

Under Siege 2: Dark Territory - Steven Seagal.  It was pretty much a retread of the first one, which was good, but unlike Bruce Willis' ability to take Die Hard to different territories, this was a failure.  Not bad to me, just not good, and with a sense of deja vu thrown in for good measure.

Good Steven Seagal movies: Under Siege, Above the Law, Hard to Kill.  Bad ones... just about everything else.  Though  will say that he seems to have become more in touch with nature, and has done a couple of ones that benefit causes.  They're just too preachy though, as most of those types are.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #104 on: March 13, 2013, 11:05 AM »
For me it's not enough to have a train scene or have the train be just another locked room gimmick. It has to be an integral element to the story. Von Ryan's Express for example. Or  The Great Train Robbery. In those, the train introduced unique elements that much of the plot depended on. 

Not sure if the Hunted's scene will satisfy you in that regard, then.  True, it's not a locked room gimmick- it's a flowing scene in a Japanese Bullet Train.  You have to see it... it doesn't really lend itself to words.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #105 on: March 13, 2013, 11:12 AM »
For me it's not enough to have a train scene or have the train be just another locked room gimmick. It has to be an integral element to the story. Von Ryan's Express for example. Or  The Great Train Robbery. In those, the train introduced unique elements that much of the plot depended on. 

Not sure if the Hunted's scene will satisfy you in that regard, then.  True, it's not a locked room gimmick- it's a flowing scene in a Japanese Bullet Train.  You have to see it... it doesn't really lend itself to words.

Sounds good. just put it on my watch list. thx! :)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #106 on: March 13, 2013, 12:25 PM »
I also like "The Warriors" quite a bit - it's kind of a subway movie.  I remember watching it on "Joe Bob's Last Call", and he had an MTA map that he used when coming back from the commercial breaks to show exactly what the progress of the Warriors was:

The Warriors was definitely one of the more surreal but believable quasi-dystopian flicks ever made. A cult classic. And deservedly so. I loved the "droogy" Clockwork Orange look:

droogsatkorova.jpg
Droogs!

... of the Baseball Furies.

I miss Joe Bob.

Me too.   Joe Bob Briggs was a god! :Thmbsup:

Drive-In Saturday Night was probably my all-time favorite cable TV show. :-[
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 12:31 PM by 40hz »

sword

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #107 on: March 13, 2013, 10:54 PM »
Best by date with my star ratings:

The 39 Steps 1935 (British thriller) Alfred Hitchcock, Robert Donat, Madeleine Carroll *

The Third Man 1949 (British film noir) Joseph Cotten, Alida Valli, Orson Welles, Trevor Howard *****

Born Yesterday 1950 (comedy) Broderick Crawford, Judy Holliday ***

Rashomon 1950 (Japanese crime drama) Toshirō Mifune, Masayuki Mori, Machiko Kyō, Takashi Shimura ****

North by Northwest 1959 (American thriller) Alfred Hitchcock, Cary Grant, Eva Marie Saint, James Mason ***

The Trap 1966 (frontier trapping drama) Rita Tushingham **

Bullitt 1968 (American dramatic thriller) Steve McQueen, Robert Vaughn, Jacqueline Bisset ***

Where Eagles Dare 1968 (World War II action-adventure spy film) Richard Burton, Clint Eastwood, Mary Ure ***

The Eiger Sanction 1975 (American action thriller) Clint Eastwood ****

Witness 1985 (crime drama) Harrison Ford **

Bagdad Cafe 1987 (American comedy) Jack Palance ****

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #108 on: March 21, 2013, 10:46 PM »
I very briefly mentioned this little gem of a movie from 2003 earlier. If you like caper films (I'm addicted to them) it's one of the better ones. It's called Foolproof.

foolproof.jpg

It's the story of three twenty-somethings living in Toronto who have formed a very unique club.  One that is dedicated to meticulously planning "foolproof" high-stakes robberies. The club has  four rules:

• Style, finesse and brains are everything. No guns, violence or use of force allowed.
  • Whatever skills are required to commit the heist must be real skills at least one member of the club actually has
  • The research and planning must be complete enough that the robbery could have actually been committed if they so chose.
  • The planned crime is never to be carried out. It's purely an artistic and intellectual exercise.

All goes well until one of the members accidentally loses his copy of one of their heist plans. A short time later, the club members are shocked to see the jewel warehouse robbery they so meticulously planned had been successfully carried out. And from the details the police released to the evening news, it was very clear that whoever had pulled it off used their plan. Shortly afterwards they receive a phone call. Whoever had used their plan admired their expertise - and also knew their identities. He now wanted them to work with him on stealing something even bigger. And just in case they didn't want to help him, he pointed out that he still had the copy of their plan. A plan with enough in it for the police to be able to trace it back to the club should someone ever decide to send it to them."

Neat little film with some extremely clever plot twists and surprises. Recommended! :Thmbsup:

-----

Note: last I looked the full movie is up on YouTube. Watch it here.

dspelley

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • But it's a dry heat.
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #109 on: March 23, 2013, 10:21 PM »
Wonder Boys
wonder_boys.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?
Das Boot
das_boot.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?
October Sky
october_sky.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?
Stalag 17
stalag_17.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?
North by Northwest
north_by_northwest.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?
This is Spinal Tap
spinal_tap.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?
We are at the very beginning of time for the human race. It is not unreasonable that we grapple with problems. But there are tens of thousands of years in the future. Our responsibility is to do what we can, learn what we can, improve the solutions, and pass them on.
--- Richard Feynman (1918-1988)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #110 on: March 24, 2013, 11:20 AM »
The first and original The Gods Must Be Crazy movie. Yes, it became a series of films, but the others didn't have quite the same unpretending innocence as the first one (edit: in fact, the series was not even funny but plain silly, compared to the original's humorous wisdom). Wonderful ♥

http://en.wikipedia....e_Gods_Must_Be_Crazy
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080801/

SY451_.jpg

click thumbnail to enlarge:

SY475_.jpgWhat are your favorite movies? Gods_must_be_crazy.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?

SY442_.jpg

« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 02:56 PM by Curt »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #111 on: March 24, 2013, 07:54 PM »
@Curt - that first GMBC was absolutely brilliant. Superb choice! :Thmbsup:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #112 on: March 24, 2013, 08:31 PM »
QUESTION to topic readers:

I was thinking of kicking off a new discussion thread to let people know about unreleased movies that are worth waiting and looking out for. I was thinking of it being more of a heads up to each other about interesting films by indy producers that are either in progress or out on limited distribution as opposed to your usual major studio announcements about "coming attractions." These would be oddball films most people would otherwise miss unless they were regularly trawling the indy film news scene.

Screenshot from 2013-03-24 22:07:59.png

Sound good? Anybody interested or want to get involved? Drop me a PM if so. Thx. 8)

« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 09:11 PM by 40hz »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #113 on: March 25, 2013, 04:49 AM »
Best by date with my star ratings:
The 39 Steps 1935 (British thriller) Alfred Hitchcock, Robert Donat, Madeleine Carroll *
Bullitt 1968 (American dramatic thriller) Steve McQueen, Robert Vaughn, Jacqueline Bisset ***
Bagdad Cafe 1987 (American comedy) Jack Palance ****

-spanning half a century, but I gladly second sword's choices.  :up:
My girly friend demands that I add Casablanca, and I agree.

I don't know if this Norwegian one ever crossed the Atlantic, but it surely was a major hit around here:
Pinchcliffe Grand Prix. The movie was made in 3½ years by approx 5-6 people, but became cult and was shown in cinemas (mainly in Norway, Moscow and Tokyo) every day of the week for 28 years (1975-2003)! In 2005 a new, digitally restored DVD was released which featured soundtracks and subtitles in 5 languages including English - read the creator's homepage: http://www.caprino.n...start/en/default.asp. I was, no, I AM a big fan (see >evidence<) of the included Il Tempo Gigante, the fastest and most advanced car ever made (take that, Bugatti!).

Here is a shortened first part, but be warned:
This is from when we took whatever time it took, to tell a story...

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 11:15 AM by Curt, Reason: shortened video »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #114 on: March 28, 2013, 07:16 AM »
Just added to my top list. Less than 10 minutes long and absolutely brilliant. It's called Paperman and it's by... Disney?

:Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 07:24 AM by 40hz »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #115 on: March 28, 2013, 11:22 AM »
Oh... I love that!  I saw it before some Disney movie I saw with the kids recently.  It's great!

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #116 on: March 28, 2013, 11:56 AM »
Just added to my top list. Less than 10 minutes long and absolutely brilliant. It's called Paperman and it's by... Disney?

If you liked that one, you'll probably like this one too.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #117 on: March 28, 2013, 12:41 PM »

Downloading. Looks really good. Thx! :)

My sister saw Paperman with me and laughed. Said of course I liked the picture. "Who does it look like?" she asked:

Screenshot from 2013-03-28 13:35:14.png   Screenshot from 2013-03-28 13:29:52.png    Screenshot from 2013-03-28 13:36:05.png

She's right. That particular look, plus the body language and facial expressions, could be modeled on my GF. :-*

She is the grand master of the "arched eyebrow plus head tilt" and the "half smile over the shoulder" backward glance.

Guess I know what I like huh? ;D

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #118 on: March 28, 2013, 02:44 PM »
Dunno whether this is overkill,
but I've started another film/movie thread: Movies or films you've seen lately

The thread What are your favorite movies? is pretty active at the moment,
but I thought I'd add this one just for stuff you've seen lately (good or bad).
Tom

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #119 on: March 28, 2013, 03:09 PM »

That was really cute. But a part of me doesn't like it because the cynic in me says that would never actually happen in real life. It's too implausible. Too scripted. But it sure is a cute, romantic idea.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #120 on: March 28, 2013, 03:33 PM »
That was really cute. But a part of me doesn't like it because the cynic in me says that would never actually happen in real life. It's too implausible. Too scripted. But it sure is a cute, romantic idea.

Well, neither would Paperman.   :P

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #121 on: March 28, 2013, 03:46 PM »

Well, neither would Paperman.   :P

True. But Paperman was short enough that it was over before my brain started having those thoughts. I believe that's called Fridge Logic.

Potential Paperman spoiler
And also, the magical flying paper airplanes required extra suspension of disbelief.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #122 on: March 28, 2013, 04:04 PM »
^Yes Deo, you little grouch you!  :P That's the "willing suspension of disbelief" that makes all fiction and drama possible. Without that, fiction becomes a lie. Which was a major philosophical issue when novels first started getting extremely popular during the Enlightenment era. The Church worried about what knowingly telling and listening to "falsehood" would do to people and their sense of judgement and morality.

Looking back at the last 400 or so years of history, I guess we have our answer to that question.  ;D

In the mean time, shut off the computer. It's Springtime. Get yourself out there and fall in love.  :)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #123 on: March 29, 2013, 02:24 AM »
It's Springtime. Get yourself out there and fall in love.  :)

It ain't for lack of trying.  :)

:(

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #124 on: March 29, 2013, 10:02 AM »
It's Springtime. Get yourself out there and fall in love.
It ain't for lack of trying.

here it is snowing. "Does this parka suite my bottom?"