ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What are your favorite movies?

<< < (20/34) > >>

40hz:
Switching gears for a second, does anybody find movies that take place in subways or on trains (or in train stations) particularly enjoyable like I do? (Freudians can feel free draw their own conclusions about that... >:D)

Here are two "subway" movies I really like.

First up is the 1985 film Subway - a sweet little French work that is surprisingly poignant while still remaining fun.

Fred, a raffish safe blower, takes refuge in the Paris Metro after being chased by the henchmen of a shady businessman from whom he has just stolen some documents. While hiding out in the back rooms and conduits of the Metro, Fred encounters a subterranean society of eccentric characters and petty criminals. Despite being pursued by the henchmen, Fred finds the time to flirt with Helena, blow a safe, rob a train, evade the hapless Metro police and start a rock band ...
--- End quote ---

Sorry...I couldn't find a trailer dubbed or subtitled in English for this one.

The second is a much more unusual movie from Hungary called Kontroll.

issue-ridden Hungarian metro ticket checkers deal with crazed commuters, underworld characters, violent sports fans, a politically posturing transit authority bureaucracy, back-stabbing coworkers, bouts of narcalepsy, a giant teddy bear...and a demonic looking serial killer living in the tunnels who gets his kicks by pushing unwary passengers onto the tracks just ahead of the approaching subway car.

Despite it's underlying story, it's actually a very funny and endearing film. (I think I'm in love with Ezster Balla...)

Highly recommended. :Thmbsup:

(No subtitles with this one either I'm afraid...)

--------------------

And if your taste in subway drama runs more to pure horror, here's the subterranean answer to Blair Witch simply titled The Tunnel

An investigation into a government cover-up leads to a network of abandoned train tunnels deep beneath the heart of Sydney. As a journalist and her crew hunt for the story it quickly becomes clear the story is hunting them.
--- End quote ---

Last I looked, you can watch the full movie on YouTube. Link here.

mwb1100:
does anybody find movies that take place in subways or on trains (or in train stations) particularly enjoyable like I do?
-40hz (March 13, 2013, 01:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I loved the original "The Taking of Pelham One Two Three" - the depiction of New Yorkers was classic.

I also like "The Warriors" quite a bit - it's kind of a subway movie.  I remember watching it on "Joe Bob's Last Call", and he had an MTA map that he used when coming back from the commercial breaks to show exactly what the progress of the Warriors was:

I miss Joe Bob.

4wd:
Battle Beneath the Earth - Those dastardly Chinese.

The Midnight Meat Train - Not too bad.
Urban Explorer - So so.

kilele:
More films with trains!!

The Train
3:10 to Yuma
Last Train From Gun Hill
The Lady Vanishes
The Sleeping Car Murders
The Station Agent
Transsiberian
Silver Streak
Enigma
Zentropa
Berlin Express
La bataille du rail
Boxcar Bertha
Days of Heaven

Renegade:
3:10 to Yuma was great! Both the original and the remake.

Now, I'm going to go out on a limb here...

I liked watching Zardoz!!! :P

I really did.

However, I watched it knowing the philosophy and ideology that it put forward. I'd read about it and the metaphor that it uses. So, when I went to watch it, I had that 20/20 hindsight already there. That made the movie different for me and actually enjoyable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version