topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:16 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: What are your favorite movies?  (Read 109383 times)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What are your favorite movies?
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2013, 07:59 AM »
A film really doesn't have to be "great", (as proven by some of your lists!), it is more important if it appeals to something in you, I think.

good point Curt - in the last years I have thoroughly enjoyed some films that are really not so great. I mean the story or acting or something resonates with whatever is going on with me at that particular moment. OTOH a film can be super made or maybe technically brilliant, but not connect with the viewer - or simply not have much of a heart (last Almodovar film comes to mind - but maybe it 'connects' with someone else...)
I'm seconding this, sometimes my subconscious just wants to be fed stuff, emotionally, even if it has a couple of disastrous plot holes. Superhero movies are the best case example here. My other posts above are the same - they might not score all 5 out of 5, but they address something I want dealt with, even if a bit unevenly.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2013, 12:57 PM »
I think it comes down to the difference between art and entertainment. Some movies are entertaining. Some are genuine works of art. Occasionally you'll find one that's a rare combination of both.

But in the end it's not so much a matter of what's "good" or "bad." It's just a matter of what you like. And since our tastes evolve - and at what stage in your life you find yourself liking it.

There are no absolutes here.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2013, 07:37 PM »
Maybe somebody can help me out with this one. It's a 2009 American film called The Limits of Control..
 (see attachment in previous post)
I can't decide if this is an unusually clever movie - or just a send-up of Bergman's style.

(I strongly suspect it's a complete put on to see how many film buffs fall for it - but maybe I'm missing something?)

Anybody else out there manage to sit all the way through it like I did? :huh:

I thought I'd give this a go since it's not my usual fare and the IMDB storyline intrigued me.  I couldn't tell you what "Bergman's style" is, (yes, I'll even admit to Googling it - and I still wouldn't have the foggiest), all I'm really interested in is whether it entertains me.

Initially I didn't think I'd make it past the 10 minute mark but at ~25 minutes it started to get interesting, (I am so shallow  :-[ ) - I have to say I started to enjoy the film even after that all to brief interlude with Paz.

So 40hz, to answer your question, yes I sat through it but I'm pretty sure nothing I said, (or say), would "help you out" with it.

However, I thank you for pointing out this film  :Thmbsup:

Now it's back to see what subtle indicators I missed during my first run through because I just know there has to be a lot....and if that fails I'll just do the first thing Isaach says to Bill near the end  ;)

As one of the reviewers wrote on IMDB:
Half of the movie takes place in your head, because you are trying to make sense of what is happening.

If anyone else is interested enough to watch it, please don't read any reviews/writeups on it - it will spoil it, at least I know it would have for me.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 09:16 PM by 4wd »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2013, 07:19 AM »
Initially I didn't think I'd make it past the 10 minute mark but at ~25 minutes it started to get interesting, (I am so shallow  :-[ ) - I have to say I started to enjoy the film even after that all to brief interlude with Paz.

My experience was much the same. I thought I might abandon the picture at first only to find myself oddly enjoying it for some reason the longer I let it run. And Ms. De la Huerta's substantial physical charms did lend an unexpected additional touch of visual 'frission' over and above what was already provided by the scenery and Christopher Doyle's cinematography. (Paz...lovely woman...and all grown up too, I see.)

What can I say? It is what it is. And what you bring to it. Which is supposedly (according to its director) what a good part of The Limits of Control is all about.

BTW, mentioning Paz reminded me of another film (Paz has a supporting role in it) called The Guitar. It was a 2008 Sundance Festival surprise selection by then freshman director Amy Redford.

220px-Guitarposter08.jpg

The Guitar is an unusual "coming of age" movie. Melody Wilder (played by the equally lovely Saffron Burrows) is a woman who finishes up a day where everything in her life goes completely wrong by learning that the annoying tiredness and cough she's been suffering with for some time is far more serious than originally thought. Diagnosed with a particularly aggressive and nasty form of cancer, she is informed she now has, at best, only a few more months to live. How she deals with the reality of her short and utterly unsatisfying life - and her impending demise - is what this story is about...

Screenshot from 2013-03-03 08:08:50.png

This may seem to be a rather contrived 'art house' premise. And it is since it's basically a riff on that old drinking question of what you would do if you discovered you only had a year left to live. But it somehow all works without feeling clichéd in the context of this nicely made movie which was shot on a very small budget in only 21 days.

Though it may sound hard to believe from the above, this film actually is a genuine "feel good" movie.

Trailer below:

Recommended. :) :Thmbsup:

Note: Contains some very adult themes and (brief) moments. Viewer discretion is advised.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 07:42 AM by 40hz »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2013, 07:38 AM »
I think it comes down to the difference between art and entertainment. Some movies are entertaining. Some are genuine works of art. Occasionally you'll find one that's a rare combination of both.

But in the end it's not so much a matter of what's "good" or "bad." It's just a matter of what you like. And since our tastes evolve - and at what stage in your life you find yourself liking it.

There are no absolutes here.

Oh yeah? Just watch Highlander II THEN tell me that with a straight face! ;) ;D

Pfft... aliens...
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2013, 07:49 AM »
@Ren: LOL! And touché.  ;D ;D ;D :Thmbsup:

My rule: Easiest way to save $11 is to avoid any 'pre-sold franchise' movie with an installment numeral in its title.

The problem with Highlander is that the writers failed to realize that what often makes "unexplained things that go bump in the night" so entertaining is the fact they are (and probably should remain) unexplained. Nobody who genuinely enjoys a stage magic show - and would pay to see one -  ever really wants to know how the tricks were actually done. Same goes for most fantasy fans. As long as it's kept consistent, having an unexplained factor in the story is perfectly acceptable. Much as it is in 'real' life since we don't seem to know all the answers in this reality either.
 8)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 07:57 AM by 40hz »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2013, 08:01 AM »
@Ren: LOL! And touché;D ;D ;D :Thmbsup:

I thought you'd find that entertaining~! :)

But seriously, +1 for what you had above.

There is a lot of material (movies, music, etc.) that I used to like, but don't, and others that I didn't like, but now do.

And since our tastes evolve - and at what stage in your life you find yourself liking it.

A keen insight that deserves some emphasis.

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2013, 09:56 AM »
The Man from Earth

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0756683/

Just a guy telling a story (the setting and supporting characters are irrelevant).

But the guy is 14,000 years old and it's a great story.  Most entertaining.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2013, 01:52 PM »
The Man from Earth

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0756683/

Just a guy telling a story (the setting and supporting characters are irrelevant).

But the guy is 14,000 years old and it's a great story.  Most entertaining.

@AndyM - Thx for that recommendation. Looks very cool. Hopefully one of my streaming subscriptions carries it. If so, I'll watch it tonight. Otherwise I'll order the disc via Netflix. Almost like a more introspective version of some of the themes explored in K-Pax - which is also highly recommended. The always superb Kevin Spacey and Jeff Bridges (Dude!) absolutely nail their respective roles with this one.

k-pax.jpg

If you've never seen K-Pax ...then watch it. If you already have - watch it again! It's a great film. :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2013, 03:04 PM »
The Man from Earth

yep, very cool movie, just pure conversation.  it's on netflix instant play by the way.

tn_dang

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2013, 02:25 PM »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2013, 03:01 PM »
The Shawshank Redemption

Good choice! A quietly brilliant film.  :Thmbsup:

Best prison-themed redemption story to hit the box office since Stu Rosenburg's 1967 classic: Cool Hand Luke.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2013, 03:13 PM »
One of my favorite movies of the last year or two is Cry of the Owl -- the 2009 version with Paddy Considine. I just love it.

MV5BMTQ5Njk5ODExM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjYxMjA1Mw@@._V1_SY317_CR5,0,214,317_.jpg

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2013, 10:24 AM »
... K-Pax - which is also highly recommended.

Enjoyed this one very much :up:
Tom

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2013, 03:09 PM »
Don't know how I missed this before!  I'm a big movie aficionado.  A lot of my favorites have already been mentioned, but I still have a few to add.

Just going with the non-mainstream/old ones here...

Best-Seller-1987-movie-images.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?deep_cover_frontcover_large_yJIb3WSp7kGkGG1.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?the_hunted.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?the_hunted1.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?Sniper.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?willow.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?
Blood-Of-Heroes.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?The-Big-Hit-1998-movie-pictures.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?1989-black-rain-poster1.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?the_matador.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?pump-up-the-volumedvd.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?bad_company.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?
buckaroo_bonzai.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?real_genius_1985.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?dark_city.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?poster_District-B13Poster.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?el_mariachi.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?fido2dfront.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?
once-upon-time-in-china.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?shaolin-soccer-movie-poster-2003-1020206827.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?kung-fu-hustle-21.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?somewhere_in_time.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?true-romance-poster.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?reservoir_dogs_movie-11521.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?

And even though they are mainstream, I had to add

Enemy-at-the-Gates-2001-movie-poster.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?heat.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?310 to Yuma.gifWhat are your favorite movies?the-last-samurai-movie-poster.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?the-killer-movie-poster-500w.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?hard_boiled.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?
last_action_hero.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?936full-man-on-fire-poster.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?the-count-of-monte-cristo-movie-poster.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?Tombstone_movie_poster.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?true_grit_poster7.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?Gladiator DVD.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 03:15 PM by wraith808 »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2013, 03:17 PM »
Ooh... two more.  Didn't even know that I'd like them so much, but they are great movies.

Secondhand-Lions-movie-poster.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?inkheartposter.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2013, 05:07 PM »
Very nice selection(s).  Haven't seen the Russell Crowe version, but loved the Audie Murphy version of 3:10 to YumaSecondhand LIONS always feels like a guy's equivalent to a chick flick  ;D.  Somehow I missed Inkheart, but considering the cast, I need to find it  :huh:Very interesting assembly you've provided.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2013, 06:30 PM »
@Wraith - good stuff! And you've got Dark City - one of my favorite sleeper sci-fi flicks!

I love it when they bring that film noir look to sci-fi like they did in The Thirteenth Floor. Which is also highly recommended.

13thfloor.jpg   ror.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?

Another good film is the odd indy picture Franklyn. Four lives intersect and interact in strange ways in this surprise movie that combines elements of steampunk and modern psychological drama. This is one movie that has a storyline I can safely say is not what you would expect. Highly recommended. :up:

Franklyn is easily one of the darkest and creepiest movie vigilantes since Rorschach (below) in Watchmen.

13th.jpg

8)

« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 09:17 PM by 40hz »

kilele

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2013, 10:40 PM »
One of my favorite movies of the last year or two is Cry of the Owl -- the 2009 version with Paddy Considine. I just love it.

This is really good, it reminds me of one of my favorite movies, Vertigo.
The same punch in the face the first time you watch them, with a twisted love story that involves deception.
Thanks guys for so many good recommendations.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2013, 10:59 PM »
@Wraith - good stuff! And you've got Dark City - one of my favorite sleeper sci-fi flicks!

I love it when they bring that film noir look to sci-fi like they did in The Thirteenth Floor. Which is also highly recommended.

Looking up those two that you'd recommended, I came upon two others that I'd forgotten that I don't think are mentioned:

Gattaca.jpgstrangedays.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?

Both of those are real sleepers, and Strange Days is one that you really like, or you don't.  I don't think there's an in between on that one.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2013, 07:20 AM »
Strange Days is one that you really like, or you don't

Liked it. :-*  The story was good. But Juliette Lewis's performance as his drug fueled rock star ex-girlfriend was amazing. Forget the legs - which are very nice btw. This lady can sing! Thought I was watching a cross between Tina Turner and Gracie Slick watching that scene. Oh yeah!
 ;D

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2013, 08:06 AM »
Strange Days is one that you really like, or you don't

Liked it. :-*  The story was good. But Juliette Lewis's performance as his drug fueled rock star ex-girlfriend was amazing. Forget the legs - which are very nice btw. This lady can sing! Thought I was watching a cross between Tina Turner and Gracie Slick watching that scene. Oh yeah!
 ;D

Oh, totally agree with you.  There wasn't a performance that surprised me as much until I saw Tom Cruise in Rock of Ages.

kilele

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2013, 08:09 AM »
I like to watch these ones once in a while for some reason
The Name of the Rose
Jeremiah Johnson
Hang'em High
The Beguiled
Also I've always wanted to watch old noir movies, there must be great stories there.
There is a good french film about a prison escape that I want to see again, Le Trou.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 08:18 AM by kilele »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2013, 09:19 AM »
Hang'em High

MAJOR ASS-KICKING FLICK!  :Thmbsup:

I used to have the sound track to that. Great music and amazing film!

High Plains Drifter
A Fistful of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More
THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY <<<< Damned if that's not one of the best flicks ever!
The Outlaw Jose Wales

The Clint spaghetti westerns are just fantastic! Huge fan of them here! :D  :Thmbsup:

As for "Sniper", I really liked that when I first saw it, but I'm not sure that I'd like it if I saw it again. I think I've changed a lot, and that would colour my view of it.

"Gattaca" - Great flick!  :Thmbsup: Same for "Inkheart".

Too many other good movies mentioned above... I need to get back to drinking then sleeping. :P

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2013, 09:32 AM »
Oh yeah... I love the westerns.  That's why I included the few I did in my list- they're on the short list of the modern western bringing things back!  If I actually went back that far and started naming westerns, I'd be naming them for a while!

As for "Sniper", I really liked that when I first saw it, but I'm not sure that I'd like it if I saw it again. I think I've changed a lot, and that would colour my view of it.

I wouldn't doubt it.  It's from a time when regime change and control of foreign countries was something that if not to be proud about, wasn't something to totally deny in Hollywood.  The targets are bad people... but who judges that outside of the rule of law?

I think a lot of old movies suffer from that syndrome.  But I love Berenger and Billy Zane.

But along those lines (and on the other side) I'd recommend Best Seller.  I think you'd love that Ren.