ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What are your favorite movies?

<< < (11/34) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
A film really doesn't have to be "great", (as proven by some of your lists!), it is more important if it appeals to something in you, I think.
-Curt (February 14, 2013, 05:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

good point Curt - in the last years I have thoroughly enjoyed some films that are really not so great. I mean the story or acting or something resonates with whatever is going on with me at that particular moment. OTOH a film can be super made or maybe technically brilliant, but not connect with the viewer - or simply not have much of a heart (last Almodovar film comes to mind - but maybe it 'connects' with someone else...)
-tomos (February 15, 2013, 04:14 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'm seconding this, sometimes my subconscious just wants to be fed stuff, emotionally, even if it has a couple of disastrous plot holes. Superhero movies are the best case example here. My other posts above are the same - they might not score all 5 out of 5, but they address something I want dealt with, even if a bit unevenly.

40hz:
I think it comes down to the difference between art and entertainment. Some movies are entertaining. Some are genuine works of art. Occasionally you'll find one that's a rare combination of both.

But in the end it's not so much a matter of what's "good" or "bad." It's just a matter of what you like. And since our tastes evolve - and at what stage in your life you find yourself liking it.

There are no absolutes here.

4wd:
Maybe somebody can help me out with this one. It's a 2009 American film called The Limits of Control..
 (see attachment in previous post)
I can't decide if this is an unusually clever movie - or just a send-up of Bergman's style.

(I strongly suspect it's a complete put on to see how many film buffs fall for it - but maybe I'm missing something?)

Anybody else out there manage to sit all the way through it like I did? :huh:
-40hz (February 13, 2013, 07:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

I thought I'd give this a go since it's not my usual fare and the IMDB storyline intrigued me.  I couldn't tell you what "Bergman's style" is, (yes, I'll even admit to Googling it - and I still wouldn't have the foggiest), all I'm really interested in is whether it entertains me.

Initially I didn't think I'd make it past the 10 minute mark but at ~25 minutes it started to get interesting, (I am so shallow  :-[ ) - I have to say I started to enjoy the film even after that all to brief interlude with Paz.

So 40hz, to answer your question, yes I sat through it but I'm pretty sure nothing I said, (or say), would "help you out" with it.

However, I thank you for pointing out this film  :Thmbsup:

Now it's back to see what subtle indicators I missed during my first run through because I just know there has to be a lot....and if that fails I'll just do the first thing Isaach says to Bill near the end  ;)

As one of the reviewers wrote on IMDB:
Half of the movie takes place in your head, because you are trying to make sense of what is happening.
--- End quote ---

If anyone else is interested enough to watch it, please don't read any reviews/writeups on it - it will spoil it, at least I know it would have for me.

40hz:
Initially I didn't think I'd make it past the 10 minute mark but at ~25 minutes it started to get interesting, (I am so shallow  :-[ ) - I have to say I started to enjoy the film even after that all to brief interlude with Paz.
-4wd (March 02, 2013, 07:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

My experience was much the same. I thought I might abandon the picture at first only to find myself oddly enjoying it for some reason the longer I let it run. And Ms. De la Huerta's substantial physical charms did lend an unexpected additional touch of visual 'frission' over and above what was already provided by the scenery and Christopher Doyle's cinematography. (Paz...lovely woman...and all grown up too, I see.)

What can I say? It is what it is. And what you bring to it. Which is supposedly (according to its director) what a good part of The Limits of Control is all about.

BTW, mentioning Paz reminded me of another film (Paz has a supporting role in it) called The Guitar. It was a 2008 Sundance Festival surprise selection by then freshman director Amy Redford.

The Guitar is an unusual "coming of age" movie. Melody Wilder (played by the equally lovely Saffron Burrows) is a woman who finishes up a day where everything in her life goes completely wrong by learning that the annoying tiredness and cough she's been suffering with for some time is far more serious than originally thought. Diagnosed with a particularly aggressive and nasty form of cancer, she is informed she now has, at best, only a few more months to live. How she deals with the reality of her short and utterly unsatisfying life - and her impending demise - is what this story is about...

This may seem to be a rather contrived 'art house' premise. And it is since it's basically a riff on that old drinking question of what you would do if you discovered you only had a year left to live. But it somehow all works without feeling clichéd in the context of this nicely made movie which was shot on a very small budget in only 21 days.

Though it may sound hard to believe from the above, this film actually is a genuine "feel good" movie.

Trailer below:

Recommended. :) :Thmbsup:

Note: Contains some very adult themes and (brief) moments. Viewer discretion is advised.

Renegade:
I think it comes down to the difference between art and entertainment. Some movies are entertaining. Some are genuine works of art. Occasionally you'll find one that's a rare combination of both.

But in the end it's not so much a matter of what's "good" or "bad." It's just a matter of what you like. And since our tastes evolve - and at what stage in your life you find yourself liking it.

There are no absolutes here.
-40hz (February 16, 2013, 12:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh yeah? Just watch Highlander II THEN tell me that with a straight face! ;) ;D

Pfft... aliens...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version