ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What are your favorite movies?

<< < (31/34) > >>

Giampy:
+1! Awesome flick.-40hz (December 19, 2014, 07:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Among several unforgettable episodes, the following episode is the one that mainly touched me.
Music from 1:50 to 3:50, and especially the explosion of music at 2:43, always give me gooseflesh:

Giampy:
Music from 1:50 to 3:50-Giampy (December 20, 2014, 06:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

And then the famous phrase: "Are you able to play only... or are you able to shoot too?"

superboyac:
+1! Awesome flick.-40hz (December 19, 2014, 07:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Among several unforgettable episodes, the following episode is the one that mainly touched me.
Music from 1:50 to 3:50, and especially the explosion of music at 2:43, always give me gooseflesh:

-Giampy (December 20, 2014, 06:05 AM)
--- End quote ---
This is close to one of my favorite movies of all time, along with it's companion OUTI America.  I went into both of these movies stone cold, and both times, as I was approaching the end of the movie, it hit me how crazy good everything was.  It just pounced upon me like that after 2+ hours.  What an experience.  I've tried so hard to try to understand what sergio leone is doing in these movies, but it's quite hard to explain.  Of the last 15 years, these two first-time watchings were probably my favorite movie experiences.  It usually takes me a lot of retrospect and analysis for me to call someone a genius, but by the end of these two movies, I was already thinking "This mutherf----r is goddamn genius."

40hz:
For the Holidays I'll toss in two of my favs. Both with Kate Hepburn. One of my favorite ladies of the silver screen.

What are your favorite movies?

One film most definitely Christ-missy and (unusually) computer geeky is Desk Set. Hepburn as a company reference librarian (Anybody besides me remember those?) and Spencer Tracy, the computer whiz "methods engineer" who is overseeing the installation of several hulking room-sized IBM mainframes (then referred to as "electronic brains") in the NYC TV Network headquarters where Hepburn is working. Great back & forth dialogue, including a few rather risqué (for the times) moments.
One classic exchange here
(Both characters are sitting on floor between the book stacks, half in the bag, and killing a bottle of Christmas Party champagne.)

Hepburn: Tell me, skipper,
why have you never married?
Don't you like women?

Tracy: Oh, yeah. Sure, sure. I like women,
specifically as a sex and specifically.

Hepburn: But not "pacifically"
enough to get married.

Tracy: Oh, no, no. That's not it at all.
I just never found anyone willing to put
up with me. Except Caroline, of course.
- Would you like more champagne?

Hepburn: No. What about "Caroline, of course?"

Tracy: Caroline?... Caroline was a model.

Hepburn: Mm-hmm.

Tracy:  5'9" in her stockinged feet.

Hepburn: You had occasion to measure her?

Tracy: Among other things.
--- End quote ---

Especially good is the dinner scene in Hepburn's apartment. IMO it's one of the best comedic moments to come out of that era of movie making.

Next up is the 1938 film Bringing Up Baby featuring Hepburn and Cary Grant this time out.

The then 30-year old Hepburn plays a drop-dead gorgeous society heiress and full-time screwball. Grant plays a stuffy and overly serious palaeontologist chasing high-society money for his brontosaurus research project. The bulk of the picture takes place in a fictitious Connecticut "country home." Although a commercial miss when it was first released (as was The Wizard of Oz), it has since gone on to be considered a classic piece of comedy. Silly, stupid, and surprisingly enjoyable.

Recommended. :Thmbsup:

superboyac:
OK I should update...based on the recommendations here, i've watched Gosford park.  Awesome!  It had a similar feel to that older epic that 40hz mentioned a while back.  That british class system always fascinates, and it really makes me angry to watch, I can't help it!
 I've rewatched Clockwork Orange, Strangelove, Jacob's Ladder...all great.

I'll be seeing the Hobbit this week.  I don't expect much other than great special effects, at this point I've already been numbed by several unnecessary hours of Peter Jackson.

I want to go back and rewatch Chinatown.

I'm a sucker for twist endings, even though they've been overabused the last 20 years, maybe longer.  The Usual Suspects was the one that got me hooked in my teenage years, never seen one quite that good...but part of that is nostalgia.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version