ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What are your favorite movies?

<< < (22/34) > >>

40hz:
For me it's not enough to have a train scene or have the train be just another locked room gimmick. It has to be an integral element to the story. Von Ryan's Express for example. Or  The Great Train Robbery. In those, the train introduced unique elements that much of the plot depended on. 
-40hz (March 13, 2013, 11:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not sure if the Hunted's scene will satisfy you in that regard, then.  True, it's not a locked room gimmick- it's a flowing scene in a Japanese Bullet Train.  You have to see it... it doesn't really lend itself to words.
-wraith808 (March 13, 2013, 11:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sounds good. just put it on my watch list. thx! :)

40hz:
I also like "The Warriors" quite a bit - it's kind of a subway movie.  I remember watching it on "Joe Bob's Last Call", and he had an MTA map that he used when coming back from the commercial breaks to show exactly what the progress of the Warriors was:
-mwb1100 (March 13, 2013, 01:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

The Warriors was definitely one of the more surreal but believable quasi-dystopian flicks ever made. A cult classic. And deservedly so. I loved the "droogy" Clockwork Orange look:

Droogs!

... of the Baseball Furies.

I miss Joe Bob.
-mwb1100 (March 13, 2013, 01:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Me too.   Joe Bob Briggs was a god! :Thmbsup:

Drive-In Saturday Night was probably my all-time favorite cable TV show. :-[

sword:
Best by date with my star ratings:

The 39 Steps 1935 (British thriller) Alfred Hitchcock, Robert Donat, Madeleine Carroll *

The Third Man 1949 (British film noir) Joseph Cotten, Alida Valli, Orson Welles, Trevor Howard *****

Born Yesterday 1950 (comedy) Broderick Crawford, Judy Holliday ***

Rashomon 1950 (Japanese crime drama) Toshirō Mifune, Masayuki Mori, Machiko Kyō, Takashi Shimura ****

North by Northwest 1959 (American thriller) Alfred Hitchcock, Cary Grant, Eva Marie Saint, James Mason ***

The Trap 1966 (frontier trapping drama) Rita Tushingham **

Bullitt 1968 (American dramatic thriller) Steve McQueen, Robert Vaughn, Jacqueline Bisset ***

Where Eagles Dare 1968 (World War II action-adventure spy film) Richard Burton, Clint Eastwood, Mary Ure ***

The Eiger Sanction 1975 (American action thriller) Clint Eastwood ****

Witness 1985 (crime drama) Harrison Ford **

Bagdad Cafe 1987 (American comedy) Jack Palance ****

40hz:
I very briefly mentioned this little gem of a movie from 2003 earlier. If you like caper films (I'm addicted to them) it's one of the better ones. It's called Foolproof.

It's the story of three twenty-somethings living in Toronto who have formed a very unique club.  One that is dedicated to meticulously planning "foolproof" high-stakes robberies. The club has  four rules:

* Style, finesse and brains are everything. No guns, violence or use of force allowed.
* Whatever skills are required to commit the heist must be real skills at least one member of the club actually has
* The research and planning must be complete enough that the robbery could have actually been committed if they so chose.
* The planned crime is never to be carried out. It's purely an artistic and intellectual exercise.

All goes well until one of the members accidentally loses his copy of one of their heist plans. A short time later, the club members are shocked to see the jewel warehouse robbery they so meticulously planned had been successfully carried out. And from the details the police released to the evening news, it was very clear that whoever had pulled it off used their plan. Shortly afterwards they receive a phone call. Whoever had used their plan admired their expertise - and also knew their identities. He now wanted them to work with him on stealing something even bigger. And just in case they didn't want to help him, he pointed out that he still had the copy of their plan. A plan with enough in it for the police to be able to trace it back to the club should someone ever decide to send it to them."

Neat little film with some extremely clever plot twists and surprises. Recommended! :Thmbsup:

-----

Note: last I looked the full movie is up on YouTube. Watch it here.

dspelley:
Wonder Boys
What are your favorite movies?Das Boot
What are your favorite movies?October Sky
What are your favorite movies?Stalag 17
What are your favorite movies?North by Northwest
What are your favorite movies?This is Spinal Tap
What are your favorite movies?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page