ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Bill Gates has donated over $36,854,000,000 in his lifetime

(1/7) > >>

wraith808:
Bill Gates had [sic] donated over $36,854,000,000 in his lifetime.

Even more impressive -  he's convinced 92 of his billionaire peers (including Mark Zuckerberg, Ted Turner, and Warren Buffett, and George Lucas) to sign his Giving Pledge and commit to donating the majority of their wealth to philanthropic causes.

kyrathaba:
That's awesome! It's nice to know there are still philanthropic, magnanimous souls.

Renegade:
That's awesome! It's nice to know there are still philanthropic, magnanimous souls.
-kyrathaba (February 08, 2013, 09:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm a bit more skeptical there.

Merely questioning things a little bit. i.e. Being offensive.
The world today has 6.8 billion people... that's headed up to about 9 billion. Now if we do a really great job on new vaccines, health care, reproductive health services, we could lower that by perhaps 10 or 15 percent.-Bill Gates on population reduction
--- End quote ---

Advocates what could easily be interpreted as eugenics? Buys stock in Monsanto? Pays for newspaper articles for positive coverage?

I smell smoke.

Put the following alphabetically arranged words in their proper order:

* a
* clothing
* in
* sheep's
* wolf

Rover:
The best I can say about W. Gates is, that compared to Steve Jobs philanthropic ventures,  W. & B. are saints.   :P

I have issues with their choices, motivation, etc.  But at least he's giving back.

I'm significantly not impressed by the amount.  After you have a few billion, what's the difference?

wraith808:
I'm a bit more skeptical there.
-Renegade (February 08, 2013, 10:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Has anyone ever actually asked him what he meant by that quote?  And if he meant birth control being delivered knowingly in vaccines in areas where the population growth is out of control, is that a bad thing?  Just playing Devil's Advocate here.

I'm significantly not impressed by the amount.  After you have a few billion, what's the difference?
-Rover (February 08, 2013, 10:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

If it's half of his reported wealth, that's not impressive?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version