ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

program to run older games (win95, etc) on windows 8

(1/2) > >>

rcb13:
Is there a program that will let me run older games on windows 8? The compatibility program can not handle it. Can a program be written to enable this to be done? I think the games are 16 bit while the os is 64 bit. Can the old files be rewritten from 16 to 64 bit? If so, how?
thanks
rcb13

tomos:
I dont think 16bit programmes will run on 64bit (but I'm no expert). Conversion is rewriting AFAIK - again, no expert.
I did have success recently finding out how to install a 32bit app which had a 16bit installer, and posted about it here
[sorted] 32bit app with 16bit installer - installing on Win7 64bit

I think it was pretty common to still use 16bit installers when 32bit apps first appeared on the scene (probably the equivalent happening today).

Might be worth a try...

wraith808:
Do the games run in DOS?  A lot of the games in windows 95 actually launch a DOS session behind the scenes rather than using DirectX and rendering in Windows.  If so, you could try DOSBox.

app103:
Or if you have a copy of an older version of Windows in which the old apps do work, install it in a VM and run the apps in that.  ;)

rcb13:
thanks for all the suggestions. How do I set up a vm? I have a copy of windows 95 I could use. Please be detail specific on setting up a vm and I have no idea how to do it. Also, where do I get the vm software?
thanks
rcb13

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version