ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Michel In Guides!

(1/2) > >>

rgdot:
A bit of  ;D and  :huh:

A 28-year-old salesman named Adam Mascall from Luton received a very angry letter through the post from the people at Michelin Guides (i.e, the French restaurant bible universally revered in food circles) after he snapped up the "www.michelinguides.com" domain name for just £6 recently.

Michelin, who mistakenly allowed the domain to expire, then threatened to sue Mascall in a sternly-worded letter as he was infringing on their trademark.

Mascall, however, then wrote back to Michelin and told them that his website was actually "Michel in Guides.com" and began filling the holding page with hilariously photoshopped images of UEFA president Michel Platini in Girl Guides uniforms!
--- End quote ---

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/blog/_/name/thetoepoke/id/1878?cc=5901

Renegade:
Clever way to get around being accused of playing with their trademark. But he's still a squatter. Just a squatter that knows he's landed a nice sized fish.

app103:
I wonder what they would have done if the Michelin tire company decided they wanted the domain name for something.  :tellme:

Carol Haynes:
Its about time the US did something about .com cybersquatting.

Can't happen any more on UK domain names, and if someone tries it Nominet, the governing body, reassigns the domain to the person/business that has the greater claim.

barney:
Nominet, the governing body, reassigns the domain to the person/business that has the greater claim.
-Carol Haynes (February 09, 2013, 03:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm curious about greater claim determination?  Who does it, how do they do it, what influences them?  How much government is involved, what businesses/trades/industries are involved?

I remember an effort in the US a decade or so ago to manage domain squatters ... it failed  :tellme:, mostly due to self-interest on the part of those making the judgement  :huh:.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version