ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Avast Installs Chrome

<< < (3/7) > >>

Renegade:
Last I checked, the CNET installers were just stubs for a web installer. The download I had was 90 MB or something like that, so I figured it was clean.

Then, during the install, it appeared to be a normal installer, with nothing in it, so I didn't suspect anything (I always look for opt outs). Then... Chrome launches...

It seems they've changed things from simple web stubs to full installers.

-- FWIW - I didn't install AVG because the download was too small, and I figured it was a web installer to install more crap.  :-\

Dormouse:
I tried downloading something from CNET recently, and found that it wanted to use a CNET installer and was going to install other stuff. I left it and found the software available on Softpedia with no extra stuff. I can't remember what the program was, but I've avoided CNET since.
-Dormouse (February 08, 2013, 09:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

That was definitely a jive move on CNET's part. But  they got so much backlash on it that they now furnish a very discreet link on most software titles that will let you go directly to the developer's webpage. If you open the full specs link from the product's main page you'll find it. Unfortunately more than a few devs are now either hosting their downloads on CNET's servers - or have cut a deal with them. So now, even if you go to some dev's homepage, their download link will still direct you back to CNET for the actual download.

I have a firm rule that if a product is only available using the CNET loader, I'll pass. There's enough good stuff out there that we shouldn't have to put up with that.
-40hz (February 08, 2013, 10:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

I hadn't been aware of that move by CNET. I remember that the developer's site did take me back to CNET, so then looked around and found it clean on Softpedia. I think I must be operating the same rule as you.  :)

40hz:
@Dormouse - Yup. I'll go to Softpedia, Filehippo, or even MajorGeeks - or just about anywhere else before I'll even think about looking at CNET. Which is a shame. It used to be such a good website.

Checkout FreewareBB (if you haven't already) when you get a chance. Some very interesting and useful things to look at. They list many excellent titles which don't seem to ever get listed elsewhere. :Thmbsup:

tomos:
The cnet installer was discussed here
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=27720.0

In the past few months I've had quite a few unexpected 'offers' to install chrome (with other installs) - some were pre-selected but at least they were with an opt-out. I've read that Flash installed it silently in some situations recently (http://forums.adobe.com/message/4692105)
What else was there lately - oh yeah, 'mega' from kim.com telling people they 'needed' to use chrome cause their curent browser not good enough.

Carol Haynes:
Just downloaded Avast Free. It does install Google Chrome and Google Toolbar for IE but it is a very clear option if you use custom install.

I suspect the problems described above are from CNET's policy of using their own installer wrapper with built in crapware, not Avast.

Personally I refuse to download anything from CNET these days as their files are always stuffed with unwanted "surprises".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version