ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Avast Installs Chrome

<< < (5/7) > >>

wraith808:
^  ;D

Carol Haynes:
True - I am not complaining but I do tell all my clients never install anything without going trhough custom or advanced options and reading what they are installing. I have cleaned up computers that have had literally half a screen of toolbars in Internet Explorer and the owner has no idea how any of them got there.

Having said that I think that anything that installs any extras or changes settings such as home pages and search engines by default are despicable. Unfortunately it seems the norm these days, even from companies like Microsoft who try at every opportunity to install Bing crap everywhere and change home pages to MSN - even through windows update!!!

Tinman57:
I just set up a new VM, installed Avast, and it installed Chrome, but never prompted me anywhere about it. It just installed it without asking. Now, I was going to install Chrome anyways, but... (From the download at CNET.)
-Renegade (February 07, 2013, 10:09 PM)
--- End quote ---
  It's because you downloaded from CNET.  They have a nasty habit of adding crapware and other software for a profit.  Download Avast from the Avast website and stay clear of CNET.

Renegade:
  It's because you downloaded from CNET.  They have a nasty habit of adding crapware and other software for a profit.  Download Avast from the Avast website and stay clear of CNET.
-Tinman57 (February 09, 2013, 04:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thing is, Avast directs you to CNET to download...

I haven't had that issue in the past, and I look for secondary downloads at CNET (checking the text to see if it does have anything bundled). Guess they're changing again.

Carol Haynes:
Direct download:

http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe

If the link doesn't work just go to www.avast.com, click Support and then look at the Downloads section (bottom left).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version