ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Avast Installs Chrome

(1/7) > >>

Renegade:
I just set up a new VM, installed Avast, and it installed Chrome, but never prompted me anywhere about it. It just installed it without asking. Now, I was going to install Chrome anyways, but... (From the download at CNET.)

Ath:
That's a practice I've seen before, both from Avast and other software[s/z] :o

Renegade:
I can't say I remember the last time I saw anything like it happen to me. I try not to install any software if possible, and am pretty careful about the software I do install. I almost thought it was a thing of the past now. Guess I was wrong.

40hz:
It's been awhile since that practice was starting to become popular with certain software publishers. But from what I've read in several places, it seems to be on the rise again. And IIRC, it was always Chrome that got installed - which make me wonder what incentives Google is offering to software authors that this is now happening.

One move I've seen that's particularly annoying is to furnish only one installer for both the paid and unpaid versions of a product. The unpaid version is (supposedly) why the crapware gets installed along with it. But the problem is that if you did pay for the product you have to install it first in upaid/demo mode - and only then can you activate it with your registration key. So either way the junk comes along for the ride.

Cute huh? :-\

Renegade:
But from what I've read in several places, it seems to be on the rise again. And IIRC, it was always Chrome that got installed - which make me wonder what incentives Google is offering to software authors that this is now happening.-40hz (February 08, 2013, 06:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

Quite.

Guess it's not evil to slip your software onto someone's computer without letting them know about it. :P Nope. No evil here. These are not the evils you're looking for. Move along... ;)

At least with Open Candy it's right out in the open and obvious and you can opt out or opt in if you like.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version