ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Legitimate app breaks popular encryption - EFS, BitLocker, TrueCrypt ...

<< < (5/7) > >>

40hz:
I wonder why all the funky-characters stuff ended up in this thread?

While it'll screw up dictionary-based attacks, FYI it will do nothing to mitigate against the attack originally posted about.
-f0dder (June 13, 2013, 12:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1. Every time I see a trick like that I keep thinking back to that famous XKCD strip that points out how most of what gets suggested to make passwords "more secure" does little other than make them difficult for humans to use and remember. Computers have no problem dealing with them however.

8)

pilgrim:
Anyone ever come across THIS?

f0dder:
Anyone ever come across THIS?-pilgrim (June 13, 2013, 06:40 AM)
--- End quote ---
Not an all bad idea, but see 40Hz' post above - the xkcd post is somewhat controversial, but I agree with the gist of it.

Also, you can rule out a whole bunch of the symbols on the card, since (even when including non-alphanumeric characters) you don't wants passwords that are too short.

CWuestefeld:
that I keep thinking back to that famous XKCD strip that points out how most of what gets suggested to make passwords "more secure" does little other than make them difficult for humans to use and remember.
-40hz (June 13, 2013, 06:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm following this approach now. To generate the pass phrases, see http://passphra.se/

In using this, I've been stunned at how many web sites (a) don't allow spaces in passwords, or (b) enforce silly maximum lengths on passwords.

Tinman57:

I use a nifty app called PINs that generates passwords generated either with built-in templates including military grade or your own templates.  You can also manually set how many characters to use.  It then saves it into a database that's also encrypted and will copy/paste your login sequence with a keyboard combination.  I've been using it for years and years, and they still keep it updated.  It has all kinds of bells and whistles too.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version