ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Yet another reason why I often wish I lived in Massachusettes

<< < (3/7) > >>

wraith808:
^ Nicely stated and put as usual 40!  :Thmbsup:

Renegade:
When some of these brick and mortar retailers that subsidize their local business with out of state commerce get hit with the same stick, I think you'll hear a different song being sung.
-wraith808 (February 05, 2013, 01:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Was that supposed to be:

When some of these brick and mortar retailers that subsidize their local business with out of state commerce get hit with the same stick, I think you'll hear a different song being suing.
-wraith808 (February 05, 2013, 01:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

;D

wraith808:
Heh.  Possibly :)

40hz:
I am also wondering what incentives from the state  Amazon had been offered (or suggested) in exchange for their coming to CT? Because I'm positive CT didn't approach them first.

Which makes me wonder if this is an emerging business strategy for Amazon and other big web retailers?

Consider: Amazon is in an ideal position to cut such deals. They can easily approach a state and tell them exactly how much sales tax revenue they're currently losing.

Then they can offer a 'sweetener:

"Gentlemen, Amazon will not only create x number of jobs and/or spend x dollars setting up a facility in your state. We will also become a local business operation. That will make all your resident's purchases subject to your local taxes under existing tax laws! Ka-ching baby! Even the Tea Party will have nothing to object to! ... But in exchange, we'd like x in tax breaks for x years. But don't worry. These breaks will pay for themselves in that your state will now be getting x dollars in sales tax revenue you wouldn't have otherwise. And best of all - everything made over the tax cut you'll be giving us will be pure gravy. Did somebody already say ka-ching?"

Love it! The better a customer the collective consumers of a state are, the better a bargaining chip they become for Amazon when approaching some tax and job hungry legislature.

Looks like the "Ugly American" has finally come to America.

Hmm... How does that song about being "sold down the river" go?
 :-\

Renegade:
Hmm... How does that song about being "sold down the river" go?
-40hz (February 06, 2013, 08:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Can't say as I rightly recall. However, I'm quite sure everyone will be singing something similar pretty soon, and I know the guidelines are here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version