ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

In Need of Searchable Database For a Card Shop

<< < (2/2)

kilele:
I don't know if this could be a valid solution : create an opds catalog with calibre. Good luck.

Paul Keith:
I think I am going to go with wordpress, because I already know how to use it, so I won't have to learn anything new, which will make things so much easier when I go to explain to the shop owner how to use it. Each card will be a blog post. And each blog post will have a category tied to it. (creature, enchantment, artifact, etc.) And then to further make it easier to search for a card, each blog post will also have tags tied to it. (eg. a green elf shaman would have the tags: green,forest,elf,shaman) then to make it look less like a wordpress blog, and more like a card database website, I disabled the pages tab at the top of the theme (there is only one page anyways, the news/anouncments page), and then added to the sidebar the categories widget, and named it card database, so that people can get a list of cards based on card type. (creature, enchantment, etc.)
-nite_monkey (February 05, 2013, 11:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

If you're going to resort to Wordpress, I think it would be more convenient to take advantage of services like Evernote, Springpad, Tumblr (compare their archives with Wordpress) and Pinstamatic.

Wordpress tags...are kind of iffy.

You are bound to end up with something like this:

http://www.cyborganize.org/clarity/the-core-workflow/

When you should be aiming instead for something like this:

http://zoywiki.com/index.php/LoH/Genesis/Common

SeraphimLabs:
It sounds like what you need though is something to the tune of MTG's Gatherer.

Gatherer in action

Only real change would be deleting the card rulings field and adding qty in stock and price fields.

I'd have to re-examine the searchable image gallery solution I wrote some time ago. It used PHP and MySQL to display an image with some corresponding descriptive text, and had a (rather incomplete) search capability that was workable enough to let you search by artist or description.

wraith808:
I think I am going to go with wordpress, because I already know how to use it, so I won't have to learn anything new, which will make things so much easier when I go to explain to the shop owner how to use it. Each card will be a blog post. And each blog post will have a category tied to it. (creature, enchantment, artifact, etc.) And then to further make it easier to search for a card, each blog post will also have tags tied to it. (eg. a green elf shaman would have the tags: green,forest,elf,shaman) then to make it look less like a wordpress blog, and more like a card database website, I disabled the pages tab at the top of the theme (there is only one page anyways, the news/anouncments page), and then added to the sidebar the categories widget, and named it card database, so that people can get a list of cards based on card type. (creature, enchantment, etc.)
-nite_monkey (February 05, 2013, 11:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

If you're going to go with Wordpress, check out ShopperPress.  I used it for a friend's site, and it worked well.  It was a no-brainer for me b/c I got it for $30, but it's good even at $79 which it's on sale for on a regular basis.  I wouldn't pay $199 for it (but that's just me).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version