ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Java - Critical Patch Released

(1/2) > >>

Tinman57:
Forget the Super Bowl. Critical Java patch released; update now

Oracle has released a critical Java update that fixes more than 50 security vulnerabilities. Considering the ruckus over the past fortnight, along with repeated warnings from the U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security, you should update Java as soon as possible.
--- End quote ---

http://www.zdnet.com/forget-the-super-bowl-critical-java-patch-released-update-now-7000010732

ewemoa:
Thanks for the heads up.

On a related note, the PortableApps.com packaging of JRE seemed up-to-date already:

http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/java_portable

IainB:
Thanks for this alert.
I took the opportunity to expunge all the Java-related crud (there was a lot of it) that I had accumulated on my laptop, and install the latest release and runtime environment in a relatively clean fashion. I hope I don't regret doing that, but then I reckoned (rightly or wrongly) that all that old Java stuff could have been a potential risk if I had left it in situ.

40hz:
Thanks for this alert.
I took the opportunity to expunge all the Java-related crud (there was a lot of it) that I had accumulated on my laptop, and install the latest release and runtime environment in a relatively clean fashion. I hope I don't regret doing that, but then I reckoned (rightly or wrongly) that all that old Java stuff could have been a potential risk if I had left it in situ.
-IainB (February 10, 2013, 03:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

You reckoned correctly.  :) :Thmbsup:

Per Oracle on their Why should I uninstall older versions of Java from my system? page

The latest version of Java is always the recommended version as it contains feature updates, vulnerability fixes and performance improvements to previous versions. You can confirm that you have the latest version by visiting the Java Verification page.

Over time, you may have installed multiple versions of Java to run available Java content. In the past, each Java update was installed in a separate directory on your system. However, Java updates are now installed in a single directory.

Should I uninstall older versions of Java?

We highly recommend users uninstall all older versions of Java from your system.
Keeping old and unsupported versions of Java on your system presents a serious security risk.
Uninstalling older versions of Java from your system ensures that Java applications will run with the most up-to-date security and performance improvements on your system.
--- End quote ---

You can always use a nice little free utility by SingularLabs called JavaRa to help you maintain Java Runtime on your system. Recommended! :up: :up:

JavaRa

JavaRa is an effective way to deploy, update and remove the Java Runtime Environment (JRE). Its most significant feature is the JRE Removal tool; which forcibly deletes files, directories and registry keys associated with the JRE. This can assist in repairing or removing Java when other methods fail.
--- End quote ---

8)

cyberdiva:
40hz, have you used JavaRa?  It sounds useful, but I'd like to know that it won't create problems (e.g., wrong removals from the Registry).  I'd feel more comfortable installing and using it if I knew that you and/or other DC folks had some good experiences with it.  Perhaps I should change my username from cyberdiva to Nervous Nelly  :( 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version