ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Lock PC during Boot. ???

(1/3) > >>

hulkbuster:
Hello,
        people if anyone can suggest me something regarding to Locking PC during the boot process, it would ask for a password or something. I heard about a program that would require a pendrive to unlock the PC during the initial startup. Then give a password.
I had heard about it a few years back, then i never thought my PC would require Locking, but now i see their is a great need for Locking my PC. Hope you understood my problem.
Google would bring a lot of results, but not the one i wanted.

40hz:
You can set a password in your BIOS settings that would require you to enter a password before the machine would boot up if that's what you're asking about. If you fail to enter it, it won't even start to load your operating system. Nor will it boot from a CD, USB key, network connection, or floppy.

Getting into the BIOS settings varies by manufacturer. But usually hitting F1, F2 or DEL immediately after powering up will do it. The hardware password setting is usually found under a tab labeled Security or something similar. But that also varies by manufacturer so you may have to go searching for it.

Some caveats:

1. If enabled, your machine will have an extra step to go through each time you reboot it.

2. Do not - under any circumstances - forget the password! :tellme: Cracking and resetting a forgotten Windows password is a nuisance. But it's doable. Resetting a forgotten BIOS startup password is a major headache that requires access to the motherboard, hard jumpering pins, disconnecting batteries and other techno-nastiness best avoided. So again and again 100 times more : DO NOT EVER FORGET YOUR BIOS PASSWORD IF YOU SET ONE.
 8)

f0dder:
The Windows logon password is not good enough?

What's your desired usecase here - preventing people from, say, booting from an USB stick or DVD? Preventing them from getting into your Windows account? Or actually securing your data?

If it's last item, look at BitLocker or (IMHO preferable) TrueCrypt.

40hz:
If it's last item, look at BitLocker or (IMHO preferable) TrueCrypt.
-f0dder (February 03, 2013, 07:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1. Agree w/f0dder 100%. :Thmbsup:

Stoic Joker:
Another +1 for f0dder:

I heard about a program that would require a pendrive to unlock the PC during the initial startup
-hulkbuster (February 03, 2013, 07:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Assuming you hardware does not have a TMP chip, that is precisly what BitLocker will do. Otherwise (with TPM chip) it's just an additional PW prompt during the initial boot.

Now how to figure out if your hardware has a TMP chip I never have been clear on. Especially before you buy as it never seems to get listed anywhere clearly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version