topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:39 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: How much have I downloaded?  (Read 16024 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: How much have I downloaded?
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2013, 04:21 PM »
Regarding music backup: I have made a simple playlist of all my favourite tracks, and made Media Copy create a copy of it (the actual files), saved to my external backup. So all of my music could go disappearing, but I would still have my 525 favourite music tracks :-)

Media Copy: https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=27064.0

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2013, 08:30 PM »
I try not to think about how much I've downloaded over the years.

Between e-books, web-tv series, online documentaries, reference collections, Microsoft Action Pack images - and the fact I'm an unrepentant Linux "distro-slut" - I really don't want to know.

But I know it's up there. Considering I just installed Win7 (plus an anytime upgrade to Pro) and Office 2010 on a new drive for a friend, I easily pulled down over a gigabyte of updates from Microsoft just for that project alone.

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2013, 08:37 AM »
If you have smartphones, tablets or home theater receivers, you may be downloading a lot more than you think, or than you can monitor from your working PC.  All of these devices can stream data from the Web, including in the background when they are not in active use.  The only way to measure total usage is where your network connects to the provider's network, which is at your data modem.  If your router doesn't keep track of data flow, you would need to insert something to do so between it and the data modem.

A VOIP phone from a cable provider may also count toward your data total (find out from your provider), but since it connects through a separate modem, will not be counted by your router, or any device inserted between it and the modem.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2013, 10:05 AM »
A VOIP phone from a cable provider may also count toward your data total (find out from your provider), but since it connects through a separate modem, will not be counted by your router, or any device inserted between it and the modem.
And what about streaming TV? I wonder if YouSee includes that in their monthly stats... considering they're a daughter company of the extremely greedy monopolistic TDC, I wouldn't be surprised.

Curt, you really should find out if you can check the traffic at the router level.
- carpe noctem

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2013, 10:21 AM »
Curt, you really should find out if you can check the traffic at the router level.

+1 :Thmbsup:

Easy to do if you're running something like Tomato firmware on your router. (And home users should if they can.)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2013, 10:47 AM »
+1 :Thmbsup:

I cannot imagine it should be a problem, as the company already have told me that my registered total download for January merely was 18GB. But of course it would be nice to know their policy on streaming. My Netgear CG3000 gateway doesn't tell how much is coming or going.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2013, 10:52 AM »
My Netgear CG3000 gateway doesn't tell how much is coming or going.
Hm, you have no way to logon to the router? (Wouldn't be surprised if TDC or one of their subcompanies locked down the router... they definitely do it for business lines, and tend to insist on DKK800 to make adjustments 8) ).

But oh, yeah, YouSee is cable and not ADSL - forgot that. I guess they might count TV and Data separately, then.
- carpe noctem

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2013, 01:31 PM »
But oh, yeah, YouSee is cable and not ADSL - forgot that. I guess they might count TV and Data separately, then.

silly of me not to have mentioned this from the beginning. Yes, cable only.