ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

a place to buy exotic plants?

<< < (3/4) > >>

KynloStephen66515:
:tellme: I don't remember posting this lmao!  Was rather....drunk...last night
 ;D
-Stephen66515 (February 03, 2013, 09:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

hah!
... and you told me you didnt drink :P
-tomos (February 03, 2013, 09:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

I made an exception for a friends 25th Birthday...turns out...I can't handle my beer/shots/mixes/whiskey as well as I used to be able to haha

app103:
Depending on how exotic you want to get, it might be a good idea to find yourself a good local florist shop that sells plants, too. (or perhaps a greenhouse?)

Since they usually deal in imported flowers (all florist shops do), it wouldn't be as hard for them to get what you want, if it is possible to get it in your area. And being local, you'd have a better chance of getting a healthy plant and it still being healthy when you get it home, provided you don't buy it in the middle of winter. The cold shock of going from the store to your car is enough to freeze delicate stems and make some plants drop all their leaves. And for exotic tropicals, this can be fatal.

Make a list of the names of the exotics you'd want and take the list around to a few shops till you find one that can get them for you. You are more likely to find a shop that can do it if you stick to the more expensive, upscale stores and stay away from the discount florists that deal in low quality, cheap leftovers.

If nothing else, the florists in the better stores are more likely to have the knowledge of where you can go to get them, if they don't sell them. Be sure to ask for their advice.

kalos:
I want to start a green business

I want exotic plants that have unique properties

I want exotic plants that are rare, not to say unknown, here

I want to introduce something new to the local market, either a new taste, or a functional plant or anything like that, eg.:

- coffee, sugar, chocolate, milk, oil etc substitutes
- therapeutic/functional plants
- plant species that can offer more efficient or economic production of already known fruits and vegetables
eg. tomatoe-like plants that is resistant in winter, or mellon-like plants that make small mellons in the size of your palm, etc

a few specific examples I have in mind are breadfruit, sapote, etc

I know that at the current times of globalization and scientific and technological advances, it's hard to find something unknown or unique, but I think it is worth trying finding any

app103:
Ah, I see. You are looking to buy in bulk. Not sure how to advise you, there. I originally thought you were looking to buy a few exotic ornamental plants for your own home and the advice I gave was based on that assumption.

Renegade:
You could take an inventory of the limited variety at the local supermarkets then just get what's not there.

There are many different varieties of pretty much everything. Carrots used to be mostly purple. So, you *could* consider those less known varieties as rare, and many will still be indigenous to where you live. But, I suppose a lot of people would just call those "heirloom" varieties.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version