ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Removing dual-boots

(1/3) > >>

oblivion:
My netbook dual-boots between Win7 and Ubuntu. Been that way for a couple of years, works fine.

But I have a lot of Windows stuff, a lot of time and effort invested in it, and Ubuntu only rarely gets used. So I want the space back.

I think I can probably use Paragon's Hard Disk Manager suite to remove the partitions and redistribute the space (I have a primary and an extended partition. The extended partition contains all the linux-relevant partitions and an NTFS partition that I set up to be shared between the two OSes. So undoing all that it going to be fun and I'll probably do it a bit at a time, for safety.)

However, Grub has moved into the MBR and I can't work out how I'm going to make it go away.

The general answer courtesy of Google is to boot from the Win7 installation disk, start the recovery console and use fixboot.

I can't do that. I don't have a Win7 installation disk or a DVD drive.

I can't even work out how to install the recovery console. I'm obviously being stupid today. :(

Any ideas?

skwire:
When I built my new computer a few weeks ago, it didn't have an optical drive either so I built a W7 installer on a USB stick and used that instead.  Perhaps that's an option?

Renegade:
You could just delete everything you don't want/need on the Ubuntu partition, free up as much space as possible, then sacrifice it as "wasted" and just ignore it then get the repartitioning done. It's a crappy solution, but it might be a time saver. You could then later do the grunt work of research at your leisure.

40hz:
Look here.

It's easy. I was gonna write the procedure up, but then I saw several people already had.  You'll find easy instructions and a link to Vista/Win7 recovery ISO downloads at the above.  8)

Tux will be sorry to see you leave! :(

Usual caveats about backing important things up first applies. :Thmbsup:

oblivion:
Perfect - thanks!

I shall be sorry to leave too -- I've enjoyed watching ubuntu evolve, but I'll probably make some space on my desktop machine for it instead.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version