ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Mid-range DSLR Camera Recommendations

(1/5) > >>

Josh:
My family is looking to replace our small digital camera with something more robust. We were previously the owners of a Canon EOS 50d but found that to be overkill for our needs. We are looking for a good mid-range DSLR camera. We are not very picky on what features it has, just that pictures are of decent quality and there is a good lens selection available should our needs change as we progress. Additionally, we would like to see an HD movie recording mode for short snippets while out and about.

Oh donationcoder gurus, we reach out to you!

wraith808:
The Nikon D80 is really good- this from my wife, who is a photographer.  However, what you might want to look into, especially if you tried the 50D already is an interchangeable lens camera.  A good write up on what they are, and why they're a good alternative to DSLRs for non-pros can be found here.  I bought one for myself when I first started (and I'm no where near pro), and my wife was surprised at the quality of the images, and the range of features available.  Another good article on some of the best is at Cnet, though they don't mention the Nikon 1, which is the one I'd recommend.

40hz:
My GF, being a photo buff, uses a variety of traditional and digital cameras including some high-end Canons.

Maybe not exactly what you've specc'ed, but her current favorite go-to camera is a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40. It takes superb pictures and extremely good videos with very decent sound. It doesn't have interchangeable lenses. But the lens that's in it is a 25mm wide-angle (24x optical) zoom made by Leica. The camera has something like 14MP resolution so the images are particularly crisp. Don't know what your budget is, but it went for $400 and change IIRC.

It's also simple enough to operate that even I can use it and get very good results. Which is more than I can say for some of her other opto-technical marvels. (I'm strictly an Instamatic point-and-shoot type when it comes to photography.)

Note: There's a review on YouTube if you're interested. Watch it here. FWIW, the reviewer didn't like the image quality and cited high noise levels in dim or low light. It's not something I've seen with any of the indoor pictures she taken with it so far, but there you go. Like everything YMMV. She primarily does outdoor and equestrian sports photography/videos so maybe it wouldn't be an issue for her either way with the lighting conditions she generally shoots under.

:Thmbsup:

tomos:
The Nikon D80 is really good- this from my wife, who is a photographer.  However, what you might want to look into, especially if you tried the 50D already is an interchangeable lens camera.  A good write up on what they are, and why they're a good alternative to DSLRs for non-pros can be found here.  I bought one for myself when I first started (and I'm no where near pro), and my wife was surprised at the quality of the images, and the range of features available.  Another good article on some of the best is at Cnet, though they don't mention the Nikon 1, which is the one I'd recommend.
-wraith808 (January 31, 2013, 10:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

I got one of those compact system cameras in 2011 (Olympus PEN E-PL2). I love the small size; I love the images (colour and quality); the few lens are very good quality; but the low-light/high-asa quality is not as good as an SLR. (The Olympus OM-D E-M5 has a very good reputation but that's @ $999 for the body only). That camera and the Olympus PEN series has in-camera image stabilisation - but I dont know if that makes the lenses any cheaper (than e.g. the Sony NEX below).

The Sony NEX series has a much better low light performance. Their lenses were not as good quality as Olympus's (last year anyway) - but I'm not sure us mortals would really notice much :-) These reviews arent as in-depth but sound very positive:
NEX 6 (preview) - expensive: similar to the Oly above ($1000 for body, $1250 with kit lens)
NEX 5R (overview) $700 with kit lens (sounds very good - also mentioned in the NEX 6 preview)

(Dont know anything about the Nikons that wraith recommends.)

wraith808:
One thing I did notice with these systems- you're getting it for the features and simplicity- not as a cheaper alternative, as Tomos rightly points out above.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version