ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Software & Sensors to Monitor Old Folks

(1/2) > >>

Renegade:
Sounds like a good idea so that you can know mom/dad are ok:

http://mobile.news.com.au/technology/sensors-to-keep-tags-on-elderly/story-e6frfro0-1226563738123

FAMILIES would be able to remotely monitor elderly relatives using high-tech sensors that check everything from when they leave their house to how often they turn on their taps and lights.

The sophisticated scheme, which will be trialled by the Federal Government over the year, would also measure heat in the kitchen or bathroom and could also capture medical conditions with connected biomedical devices.

Developed by the CSIRO, the broadband technology will use up to a dozen sensors the size of a wristwatch around a person's residence and is designed to make sure elderly people can stay in their homes longer and give peace of mind to their families.

The CSIRO will trial the sensors in the units of a group of about 20 elderly people living in Armidale, NSW, over the next year.

But if successful, the trial could become a key feature of the National Broadband Network.
--- End quote ---

I do wonder about the privacy issues though. Would be great to know all that stuff, but not sure if you'd be the only one...

Definitely has potential!

TaoPhoenix:
Eew. If they're in that bad of a shape that someone feels the need to remotely monitor all that, then Give Someone a "Jerb" (HomeStarRunner) and hire an Assistant Home Health Care Aide to live in the house. Because someone who needs to be monitored if they left the house needs someone to wipe up the spilled cereal that will sit there for weeks because the Schmancy monitoring system doesn't have a setting for "cat puke" after the cat decided to scavenge it.

Stoic Joker:
Eew. If they're in that bad of a shape that someone feels the need to remotely monitor all that, then Give Someone a "Jerb" (HomeStarRunner) and hire an Assistant Home Health Care Aide to live in the house. Because someone who needs to be monitored if they left the house needs someone to wipe up the spilled cereal that will sit there for weeks because the Schmancy monitoring system doesn't have a setting for "cat puke" after the cat decided to scavenge it.
-TaoPhoenix (January 30, 2013, 09:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

I get where you're coming from but I think there is plenty of room between the extremes for this type of solution. Remember just because the folks aren't that agile anymore - Help I've Fallen... - Doesn't mean that they're automatically daffy as well.

SeraphimLabs:
--- End quote ---

I get where you're coming from but I think there is plenty of room between the extremes for this type of solution. Remember just because the folks aren't that agile anymore - Help I've Fallen... - Doesn't mean that they're automatically daffy as well.
-Stoic Joker (January 30, 2013, 03:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is an ideal solution for the folks that need help standing up to use the restroom that are still sensible enough to drive an assistant into medical leave on suspicion of mental instability.

These are people who still know what they need to do, just they are physically incapable of reliably doing it by themselves. The device would let them call someone when they need assistance, but spares the expense and stress of having assistants on site 24/7.

Stoic Joker:
--- End quote ---

-Stoic Joker (January 30, 2013, 03:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is an ideal solution for the folks that need help standing up to use the restroom that are still sensible enough to drive an assistant into medical leave on suspicion of mental instability.

These are people who still know what they need to do, just they are physically incapable of reliably doing it by themselves. The device would let them call someone when they need assistance, but spares the expense and stress of having assistants on site 24/7.
-SeraphimLabs (January 30, 2013, 03:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's pretty much were I was headed - 24/7 care is expensive as hell - Did you mean to quote Tao?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version