topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:21 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: The great "are exploits good or bad for the concept" have moved towards GOTD  (Read 2942 times)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
http://www.instantfu...etup-files-with.html

A protection software included with the download makes sure that you cannot install the program once the 24 hour giveaway period has expired, even if you’ve still got the installer.

But there was a weakness in the Giveaway of the day wrapper that was exploited last year to extract the original installer of the program. Without the security of the wrapper, this program could then be installed at any date irrespective of the current giveaway at GOTD. It took the website’s programmers a few months before the loophole was fixed. The exploit doesn’t work anymore.

The new wrapper is more secure that stops people from keeping the software for future installs and it reportedly utilizes a technology similar to rootkits. But the wrapper’s security has been broken once again, this time by Maximus, a member of the cracking group REVENGE Crew. It is a tiny portable executable, that allows you to extract the original setup installer from the new wrapper and keep it for later use, just like before.

IMO these things are great provided the developers can understand that it will hurt the current sales of their products but boost the sequels but what dev will really appreciate 'theft demand'?

Lolipop Jones

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How long since anything at GOTD worth buying, much less cracking?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 12:23 PM »
I mean, how many video converters/DVD burners/cheesy screensavers/Windows system tweakers would anyone need??

I still have GOTD bookmarked but only because the comments section occasionally turns up a good freeware program that may have escaped my notice.

Don't think I have actually installed a program from there in two years.
Today's problems were yesterday's solutions....

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I can't help thinking that regardless of one's opinion of GOTD, it's kinda bad form to put up a link to a crack in this forum. Or a link to a link to a crack if anybody feels that detail somehow makes it different. Just my :two:
 :)