ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I did not realize how bad Google has become

<< < (2/3) > >>

Fred Nerd:
I know google has a lot of haters (with good reason) BUT I still respect them.

I they make no secret that we are a product, and are (reasonably) open about the ads that they are always trying to sell us etc.
The fact that they haven't tried to fight against ad blockers is pretty impressive. I'm sure they could get around them if they tried (random, changing ad servers to start with).

And compare Gmail to Facebook. Gmail uses standard protocols to allow you to change at will if you are dissatisfied. One has no problem migrating to and from a Gmail account. And Facebook locks you in, and once you have no options, it force feeds you ads, and it gets them past ad blockers by putting them in the newsfeed. "Your friend likes 'dodgy deals dogfood'" When it was only once, 2 years ago but its still in my newsfeed....

So I don't mind Google trying to get people to discover G+. Come on, if there worst offence is to use their position to gently push one of their products then I will forgive them for that. Besides, I wish more people did use G+, then I could ditch my Facebook and have a much more elegant, effective, and open social network.

J-Mac:
Yeah, I hate Google in so many ways and for so many things... yet I use it regularly.   :(

Though I do use all the measures I can find to minimize their damage. Still they manage to get in one way or another.

Jim

Jibz:
This proof of concept was built by some engineers at Facebook, Twitter and Myspace
--- End quote ---

Well, at least they're honest about it ;D.

Plus, who googles overly general terms like "cooking" or "movies" in the first place.

f0dder:
I haven't used any Google products since they became public back in 2004, when their bread and butter was spying and selling your information to marketers and the government....-Tinman57 (January 29, 2013, 04:12 PM)
--- End quote ---
What do you use instead, then? And do you delude yourself that <whoever> aren't doing even more nefarious things?

Tinman57:
I haven't used any Google products since they became public back in 2004, when their bread and butter was spying and selling your information to marketers and the government....-Tinman57 (January 29, 2013, 04:12 PM)
--- End quote ---
What do you use instead, then? And do you delude yourself that <whoever> aren't doing even more nefarious things?

-f0dder (January 30, 2013, 10:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

There are all kinds of alternatives, really good ones too.  I don't "delude" myself to anything, I do my homework about the products I use.  For the occasional new stuff I come across that I may want to try, I run it in a sandbox along with port sniffers and process hackers to see what they're trying to do.  I also check out several sites that are "Badware Busters".
  I also don't use social sites like FaceCrooks.  I don't like putting my life out there for everyone to see.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version