topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:27 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Headset recommendations  (Read 18214 times)

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Headset recommendations
« on: January 28, 2013, 05:35 PM »
looking for some recommendations for a gaming headset as my current set failed on the weekend (I could probably repair them, but it's not worth the effort)

I'd prefer a wired set, and no more than about $100 (I just can't justify much more than that)

Logitech G35's seem to have a good rep, but have been discontinued...

anyone?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Headset recommendations
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 05:41 PM »
I used to have a Microsoft set. It was inexpensive and worked quite well. But, I am partial to Logitech as everything I have from them has been stellar.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 06:31 PM »
I have a Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000. I like it. I bought a few of them off eBay for about $20 each, IIRC.

But I guess I'm not sure how it compares to the expensive "gaming" headsets, or what makes a headset better for gaming as opposed to anything else.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 06:54 PM »
I have a Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000. I like it. I bought a few of them off eBay for about $20 each, IIRC.

But I guess I'm not sure how it compares to the expensive "gaming" headsets, or what makes a headset better for gaming as opposed to anything else.

me either, hence my question 8) (and my last set cost $15 :Thmbsup:)

I suspect I may be getting sucked in by the marketing blurbs regarding 'surround sound', but if I don't ask I won't know.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 07:46 PM »
Have you had a look at this?: Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 - Mini-Review
Not sure what the local price might be currently - wherever you live.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 08:07 PM »
Have you had a look at this?: Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 - Mini-Review

yeah, I'd seen this, but I didn't particularly want wireless (OK, I wouldn't mind, but I don't really want the hassle of another battery powered device), and they retail here for about $165.

That might be reasonable, but it's a bit beyond what my budget (and my conscience!!) can run to

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 08:54 PM »
I've been extremely happy with pretty much any headphone made by Sennheiser. They make a quality product. And they're (IMO) reasonably priced. :Thmbsup:

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 09:13 PM »
I've been extremely happy with pretty much any headphone made by Sennheiser. They make a quality product. And they're (IMO) reasonably priced. :Thmbsup:

likewise I believe AKG and audio technica

trouble is there are almost too many choices, and unfortunately they've also become a fashionable accessory (I'm amazed at how many people I see walking around wearing $300 beats headphones) so any decision has to be based on independent (HA!) reviews, or feedback from other users.  At some point the whole process becomes arbitrary and you end up just picking something (anything!!)...

those $15 specials are starting to look attractive again :-\

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 10:48 PM »
I have AKG headphones, and they're spectacular. K 240 MKII. But they have no mic. Still, AKG make some very good products.

(Sennheiser as well - some great stuff from them, but they can be pricey.)

However, I'm still thinking that Microsoft or Logitech are really about the best for price and effectiveness. Sure, you could shell out a truckload of cash for this or that, but really, there's that sweet spot where you get good quality at a good price, and anything better starts to cause you to bleed. I think Microsoft and Logitech have that sweet spot pretty much covered.

I've been very surprised at the high quality of some relatively cheap equipment. I've spent a small fortune on audio gear, and wouldn't do it again as there's little point to it anymore.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 11:57 PM »
for my purposes a mic isn't strictly necessary - I don't play online as I don't have the bandwidth, and LAN days are generally small enough that we can (and do) just shout at each other

As you say it's very hard to pick the sweet spot on the cost/benefit curve (monster cables anyone?), and unfortunately I can't afford to just keep buying stuff till I find something I like (would that I could!)

FWIW these seem to be well regarded

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 12:38 PM »

yeah, I'd seen this, but I didn't particularly want wireless (OK, I wouldn't mind, but I don't really want the hassle of another battery powered device), and they retail here for about $165.

That might be reasonable, but it's a bit beyond what my budget (and my conscience!!) can run to

They have a lesser cost wired version also (G35).  Although I sprung for the wireless and my experience has been similar to IanB's- and you can make it wired by leaving the USB plug in.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 01:31 PM »
They have a lesser cost wired version also (G35).

was checking that and it appears to have a design flaw that the wireless one doesnt:
amazon.com review + comments
Tom

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 02:28 PM »

was checking that and it appears to have a design flaw that the wireless one doesnt:

they also have one other (significant) flaw in that they have been discontinued (else I probably would have just bought a pair 8))

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 02:33 PM »

Oh wow... good on you for checking!  Sorry, I didn't know about that.  The ones I used before this worked well for me also... Plantronics GameCom 780.  I would still be using them if not for the fact that I decided to go wireless.  Since they enclose the ears, some people complain about comfort, but I never had a problem with them- they seem large enough that I don't know how anyone could complain, but I figured I'd give you that caveat.

they also have one other (significant) flaw in that they have been discontinued (else I probably would have just bought a pair 8))

Have they been?  I still see them on the Logitech site.  They usually take discontinued items down pretty quickly...  they show as out of stock, but not discontinued.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 03:01 PM »
Plantronics GameCom 780.  I would still be using them if not for the fact that I decided to go wireless.  Since they enclose the ears, some people complain about comfort, but I never had a problem with them- they seem large enough that I don't know how anyone could complain, but I figured I'd give you that caveat.

I had been looking at these as well - they seem to get a fair rep, but I stumble on the plantronics part (they make lots of solid comm's accessories, but audio gear?)

Have they been?  I still see them on the Logitech site.  They usually take discontinued items down pretty quickly...  they show as out of stock, but not discontinued.

could be my bad - none of the 'local' suppliers appear to have any, nor do they appear to be expecting fresh stock.  Discontinued was a logical conclusion(ohhh, I see where I went wrong ;D)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 03:36 PM »
Not saying that they're not... just that I came to the opposite conclusion looking on the Logitech site, and that they're still selling them as backordered.  Seems like if they're discontinued, the supplier wouldn't sell them to you, of all people.  But there's that logic thing kicking in.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 03:49 PM »
the supplier wouldn't sell them to you, of all people.

me, of all people?

is there something you're trying to tell me? ;D ;D ;D

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 04:07 PM »
the supplier wouldn't sell them to you, of all people.

me, of all people?

is there something you're trying to tell me? ;D ;D ;D

:o  :huh:  ;D 

Ok, that was funny, I don't care who you are.  :D

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 02:02 AM »
is there something you're trying to tell me?
Finally, the light comes on 

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 02:10 AM »
Since they enclose the ears, some people complain about comfort, but I never had a problem with them- they seem large enough that I don't know how anyone could complain, but I figured I'd give you that caveat.

I find earbuds are extremely painful to use after even relatively short periods (30+ min), and on-ear headphones are uncomfortable. It's the over-ear headphones that I find are nicer to use, especially for prolonged periods.

The only pain I get there is from talking to people on Skype that have really crappy mics that have a lot of hum and noise - that gets irritating.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 12:36 PM »
Since they enclose the ears, some people complain about comfort, but I never had a problem with them- they seem large enough that I don't know how anyone could complain, but I figured I'd give you that caveat.

I find earbuds are extremely painful to use after even relatively short periods (30+ min), and on-ear headphones are uncomfortable. It's the over-ear headphones that I find are nicer to use, especially for prolonged periods.

I've tried earbuds (painful!) on-ear headphones (painful!) and even the ones that hang on top of the ear and are on-ear (painful in multiple places!) I've found that circumaural headphones (like what wraith was talking about) are the most comfortable to me. They are large enough that my ears go inside, and padded enough that the part that rests against my head/face isn't irritated.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2013, 01:44 PM »
I'm currently using SteelSeries Siberia v2, which have fairly good sound and also work for music. The only complaint I might have is that they can be slightly hot when you use them for extended periods of time. It replaced my old Creative Fatal1ty headset, which was awful.

I've heard praise of the more expensive of the Sennheiser headsets as well.

If you want to be able to listen to music, and play games where you want to actually be able to tell where sounds come from, and if you use voice chat and don't want to sound like you're talking through a tin can and a long string, then don't buy the really cheap headsets :Thmbsup:.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2013, 02:17 PM »
I've tried earbuds (painful!) on-ear headphones (painful!) and even the ones that hang on top of the ear and are on-ear (painful in multiple places!) I've found that circumaural headphones (like what wraith was talking about) are the most comfortable to me. They are large enough that my ears go inside, and padded enough that the part that rests against my head/face isn't irritated.
Yes, same here. I found these one of the the most comfortable circumaural headphones I had ever tried: Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 - Mini-Review

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2013, 02:30 PM »
The only complaint I might have is that they can be slightly hot when you use them for extended periods of time.

When/if you get another set, look for open-ear rather than closed ear.  The trade off is that it doesn't isolate you, i.e. you can hear sounds from outside.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2013, 03:57 PM »
Man...I recently found a totally awesome list someone had put together of headphones, their prices, their relative quality.  It had hundreds of current headphones on it, one of these crazy forum guys  :Thmbsup:.  If I find it, I'll post it.  i swear I bookmarked it somewhere...