ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Command-line tool to move dir contents to existing subdirs

(1/5) > >>

Cavalcader:
This is one I've been needing for years, and I bet others could use it too (maybe with slight variations). I've got a big directory (folder) containing a hodgepodge of downloads. There're already subdirectories in the same dir, holding grouped files with a common theme. What I'd like to do is move files with a specific part of their name matching an existing subdir to those subdirs. This would ideally support delimiters, or some way to tell the program what part of the filename to use.

A mass-move of zip or EXE files isn't what I'm thinking of here -- more like "* saver*.*" being moved to a dir named "*saver*" (which would break out to savers, screensavers, or something similar -- although that particular wildcard would also include VersaVerter if it exists, which is the name of a cool measurement converter).

If there're multiple "hits", it would it would ideally return a numbered list of candidates, where you could just type the number and hit enter, but if that's a deal-breaker then it could just be whichever the program finds first.

Whatcha think? It sounds simple, but maybe there're coding issues I haven't thought of. :)

brotherS:
Whatcha think? It sounds simple, but maybe there're coding issues I haven't thought of. :)
-Cavalcader (April 25, 2006, 04:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
Hmm... are you really downloading dozens of installers etc. that could be auto-categorized each day?

If you read https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=1167.0 you know that I love to automate stuff, but I just add the version number to installers that I download and move the stuff around manually.

:up:

mouser:
my memory is this came up in another discussion (in a renamer discussion?) and someone pointed us to a nice app for doing this.

brotherS:
my memory is this came up in another discussion (in a renamer discussion?) and someone pointed us to a nice app for doing this.
-mouser (April 25, 2006, 04:12 PM)
--- End quote ---
I remember that too, but if I recall correctly it was a tool that created subfolders based on file names and moved the files in those folders.

Not sure...  :-[

skrommel:
 :) I think CacheSort at https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=1592.0 could be changed into what you want. Do you need a complete RegEx, or are wildcards sufficient?

Skrommel

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version