ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

2013 Version: Browser Wars

<< < (15/23) > >>

KynloStephen66515:
My input on the Opera debate: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=34016.msg317912#msg317912
-Stephen66515 (February 13, 2013, 02:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

I read your post. It's not dev's fault when even a simple <div> leaves spaces and other things unlike every other browser, etc. Google various standards like div and others and add 'opera' right after it to your search query
-rgdot (February 13, 2013, 02:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Like I say, I have never had a single broken page.  Closest thing I have had, is with things like Netflix saying "We don't support anything other than Firefox & Chrome & IE"  I mean...I know 1.2% of the market share doesn't sound like much, but put it down to raw numbers, and you are potentially pissing off 300 MILLION+ people!
-Stephen66515 (February 13, 2013, 03:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

You must be the minority because I've watched a large number of people have issues similar to what I encountered each time I tried opera.
-Josh (February 13, 2013, 03:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe so...for me...its pretty much just "Always Worked"

Dormouse:
Sites like Amazon didn't render or work properly
-rgdot (February 13, 2013, 02:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've never had a problem with Amazon on Opera.

Had a problem on a few sites - often banks, HMRC, Windows Update etc - but the number of problems has been reducing over the years. Most browsers seemed to have some problems, with ie being my final fallback when all else failed.

Dormouse:
Seems to me that the Softpedia take on the announcement is rather extreme. Opera's engine always used to be fast, but webkit is pretty fast too. Little competitive gain and a lot of cost for Opera in maintaining Presto, and it is in the mobile market that their innovations have had the most success. I'd not be surprised to see Opera using Chromium look very similar to the latest Opera using Presto. Reduces us to webkit, gecko & ie trident.

As a user I'm not sure it will make much difference to me. It's a long time since the engine was one of the reasons I chose Opera as my primary browser. What would make me unhappy would be a takeover by Facebook.

40hz:
Little competitive gain and a lot of cost for Opera in maintaining Presto,
-Dormouse (February 13, 2013, 04:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Without Presto, Opera can't be considered a competitor to anything any more.

If they adopt Chrome's rendering engine they become just one more "me-too" repackager trying to sell yet another pretty interface.

fenixproductions:
Interesting read:
http://www.glazman.org/weblog/dotclear/index.php?post/2012/02/09/CALL-FOR-ACTION%3A-THE-OPEN-WEB-NEEDS-YOU-NOW

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version