ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

2013 Version: Browser Wars

<< < (16/23) > >>

KynloStephen66515:
Little competitive gain and a lot of cost for Opera in maintaining Presto,
-Dormouse (February 13, 2013, 04:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Without Presto, Opera can't be considered a competitor to anything any more.

If they adopt Chrome's rendering engine they become just one more "me-too" repackager trying to sell yet another pretty interface.

-40hz (February 13, 2013, 06:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

I could not agree more.  All Opera will become, is a skin, with some tiny modifications, to Chrome.  If I wanted that, I would fucking download Chrome, and make a skin for it that looks like Opera.

Fuck, this has got me major annoyed now.

Does anybody have an Opera Wand password reader...Kinda need to extract all my shit now so I can move to something else.

40hz:
[ things like Netflix saying "We don't support anything other than Firefox & Chrome & IE"
-Stephen66515 (February 13, 2013, 03:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

With Netflix, it's really more them saying we don't allow individuals to use PCs running Linux.

You are required to be running a PC with Microsoft Windows or Apple OSX to view Netflix streaming movies regardless of which browser you want to use.

Which is amusing since Netflix does work on devices running Android, to say nothing of very popular Roku box.

Renegade:
Interesting read:
http://www.glazman.org/weblog/dotclear/index.php?post/2012/02/09/CALL-FOR-ACTION%3A-THE-OPEN-WEB-NEEDS-YOU-NOW
-fenixproductions (February 13, 2013, 06:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yet more fuel for my loathing of the entire "web" of crap with broken standards and crummy web programming for different platforms.

Self-interest in platforms is the real destroyer of the web. If companies/whoever actually built browsers for designers, programmers, and users, we'd have none of this silliness.

f0dder:
As a user I'm not sure it will make much difference to me. It's a long time since the engine was one of the reasons I chose Opera as my primary browser. What would make me unhappy would be a takeover by Facebook.-Dormouse (February 13, 2013, 04:41 PM)
--- End quote ---
Without competition between Firefox and Chrome, what would Javascript performance be like today?
Without Firefox or Chrome, would we still be stuck with IE6?
A bunch of competing engines is a good thing.

If they adopt Chrome's rendering engine they become just one more "me-too" repackager trying to sell yet another pretty interface.-40hz (February 13, 2013, 06:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
Spot on the sugar. Again: what is their Raison d'ĂȘtre going to be?

f0dder:
Self-interest in platforms is the real destroyer of the web. If companies/whoever actually built browsers for designers, programmers, and users, we'd have none of this silliness.-Renegade (February 13, 2013, 06:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
The problem is a mix of silly designers that want to use bleeding-edge experimental features in production websites, and a standards committee that works way too slowly... instead of trying to make The Next Big Standard, perhaps they ought to try incremental releases.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version