ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Phone unlocking ban could hit you in the wallet

(1/3) > >>

Tinman57:

Phones bought after January 25 can no longer lawfully be decoupled from a carrier by the owner of the device. How did this decision come to rest with a single non-elected, non-technical, elderly librarian in Washington?
--- End quote ---

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2026236/phone-unlocking-ban-could-could-hit-you-in-the-wallet.html

Renegade:
Ummm... Speechless.

Nah! Just kidding! I've always got a smart-alec answer for everything~! :P

He's an idiot and doesn't understand the first thing about technology. He would do well to learn a bit from some engineers, developers, and perhaps Richard Stallman. :P

Tinman57:
Ummm... Speechless.

Nah! Just kidding! I've always got a smart-alec answer for everything~! :P

He's an idiot and doesn't understand the first thing about technology. He would do well to learn a bit from some engineers, developers, and perhaps Richard Stallman. :P
-Renegade (January 26, 2013, 10:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
  He's not just an idiot, he's an 83 year old idiot. The guy is so old he farts dust, and yet they leave a major decision that he isn't even qualified up to him!!!  Only in America......

barney:
Maybe so, but it's still illegal for me to separate my phone from the carrier whence I purchased it.  It's not just phones obtained after 2013-01-25.  The act of unlocking has become illegal - by fiat  :-\ >:(.  Mind you, I've no intention of unlocking my phone, never had such, but it seems damned impertinent at the very least for someone not even in the legal chain to tell me I cannot  :mad:!

SeraphimLabs:
And who are they to tell me what I can and cannot do with my property?

Mind you most phones the terms of service clearly states that they at all times own the phone and all associated hardware and are just letting you use it, so it isn't really ever your phone.

But for my next phone I'm looking at outright buying my own hardware, because then they cannot stick their little worms into my stuff legally.

Of course a lot of carriers will say they don't allow that, they require you to use their provided hardware models.

My response will be to go find a lawyer for some antitrust action, because this is getting seriously out of hand.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version