ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Who is still runnig XP?

<< < (7/7)

Tinman57:
Even Win 7 will be TWO OS's OLD if they live up to their promise to slam out another new one. Yes it's 8 years later and "competent", but why still go with a 2 year old OS? If I'm gonna upgrade I like to "bite the bullet, pick well, get stuff that lasts, then ride out the ripples of marketing". -TaoPhoenix (January 25, 2013, 09:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I don't play into that "You've just got to upgrade to the newest OS or your not cool" crapola.  XP works just fine for me, and I'll be damned if I'm going to spend another 4 grand on another top-of-the-line computer just to be able to use it.  This 2.8 ghz machine flies with XP, and will be extremely faster on Linux.  I'll keep XP as an alternate boot with all external communications disabled for security.  Once I get Wine installed plus get all of the Linux software that I need, I'll be pretty much set up for the life of this computer.  And when it blows up, I'll just transfer everything onto a new computer without having to buy an OS that I already paid for.  Got to love that!   8)

40hz:
Once I get Wine installed...
-Tinman57 (January 26, 2013, 08:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wine works surprisingly well. But it's not a panacea. Don't expect everything to run under it. Or be stable if it does run. Because there's many times a winapp simply won't work with Wine no matter how much fiddling you do.

Fortunately, with the advent of inexpensive and very large hard drives, it's quite practical to allocate some space for XP and setup a dual boot system. Especially since most flavors of Linux are Windows 'aware' and can install themselves alongside it with no fuss or headaches.
 8)

Tinman57:
Once I get Wine installed...
-Tinman57 (January 26, 2013, 08:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wine works surprisingly well. But it's not a panacea. Don't expect everything to run under it. Or be stable if it does run. Because there's many times a winapp simply won't work with Wine no matter how much fiddling you do.

Fortunately, with the advent of inexpensive and very large hard drives, it's quite practical to allocate some space for XP and setup a dual boot system. Especially since most flavors of Linux are Windows 'aware' and can install themselves alongside it with no fuss or headaches.
 8)
-40hz (January 27, 2013, 12:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

As with all emulators, I kind of figured there would be some things that just won't work.  I think I'm going to put in a larger hard drive for the dual boot system and use this hard drive for storage and backups.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version