ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Who is still runnig XP?

<< < (5/7) > >>

Shades:
On most of my PC's there's XP. After 5 years of service my drive was dying and it was replaced with a new 1TByte one. When doing the cloning of partitions (to prevent re-installation) I also did partition alignment. Granted, the new drive will be the main part of the speed increase, but tasks that took a long time before are now almost instantly there.

So right now I don't see or feel the need to replace XP (or workhorse Windows 2003 for that matter) soon.

40hz:
something that shocked many in the Linux community who though the dawn of the Nix order would soon come to pass...-40hz
--- End quote ---

Wait...something actually shocked the Linux community?!  :P
-Paul Keith (January 25, 2013, 04:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

Happens constantly. Mostly we're amazed at just how awesome we actually are. :P  ;D

But seriously, pretty much everybody sitting on the Penguin doorstep conceded that Windows 7 was a decent OS. It even interfaced with Samba rather well and generally played nice in a mixed OS environment. So yeah...maybe not shocked. But pleasantly surprised wouldn't be an inaccurate characterization.
 :)

Joe Hone:
Some very interesting comments. I posted because I won a free copy of Hard Disk Sentinel Pro in the January giveaway (thank you DonationCoder and Janos Mathe!) and I was curious to run it on my XP system, kind of hoping the end was in sight due to the audio production/64 bit issue and I would be forced to migrate over. No such luck, everything is diagnosed at 100%. I'm not interested in recreating my stable of audio software just to accommodate a new OS, so it's going to be XP for the near future.

Tinman57:
  I'll be on my XP machine until they stop supporting the security.  Then I'm off to Linux-land.  I'm tired of MS screwing us with crap like ME.  I actually took ME off my computer and installed 98 SE.  Then came Vista and Win 8, two more that I consider crap.  I don't like the idea of having MS spy on my system every time I boot up just to make sure I'm in compliance, don't like being treated like I'm a crook, and damned sure don't like having to "Phone Home".  I don't like having the OS glued to my motherboard so I can't just upgrade my system without having to pay homage to MS.  Then there's the price issues, the compatibility problems, hardware issues, etc etc etc.  Not to mention that I miss being able to access DOS like with 98.

TaoPhoenix:
 I'll be on my XP machine until they stop supporting the security.  Then I'm off to Linux-land.  I'm tired of MS screwing us with crap like ME.  I actually took ME off my computer and installed 98 SE.  Then came Vista and Win 8, two more that I consider crap.  I don't like the idea of having MS spy on my system every time I boot up just to make sure I'm in compliance, don't like being treated like I'm a crook, and damned sure don't like having to "Phone Home".  I don't like having the OS glued to my motherboard so I can't just upgrade my system without having to pay homage to MS.  Then there's the price issues, the compatibility problems, hardware issues, etc etc etc.  Not to mention that I miss being able to access DOS like with 98.
-Tinman57 (January 25, 2013, 08:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm almost with you Tinman, except lots of cute stuff especially from here is Windows based! I'd heard about Win Me but I was right in the pocket and had Win98 SE which was "almost coherent" and then went to Win 2000 and then Win XP, so it was a boring upgrade path, which only left me to spend one random week reading Win ME horror stories. However I sorta "saw Vista coming" and skipped it, and spent several different weeks reading Vista horror stories. Win 7 is again "almost coherent", Win 8 is "too hyped for anyone's good", so I need Next Year's Context to properly reply to any of these topics. This is what I designed my strategy as in 2005. Except for minor OS flaws from never reinstalling it, not too bad for a 7 year run on a rig.

Coda: Is there a such a thing as too many MS OS's (Non Linux/Apple?) Xp was .. XP. It was the close-your-eyes answer to 6 years of stupid-tech-scripts of "what OS do you have". It (sorta-mostly) Just Worked.  Then Vista was Vista, and Win 7 was Not-Vista-and-therefore-almost-usable, Win8 is "Putting the WIN in Win8!!!!!!!!!!!!" (Some exclams deleted for coherency.) So then Win 8.1/Blue/9/____ will be "That", whatever "That" becomes. Then "That+1" will be ... something.

But are we at the creaking point where tech is no longer "cool", and "the new thing" stops mattering? I for one learned the "wrong lesson" to stay with Win XP for "too long", so I'm now looking for Equivalent copy for the 2000-teens. (Or whatever they call this decade. We're into it, what DO they call it?) Even Win 7 will be TWO OS's OLD if they live up to their promise to slam out another new one. Yes it's 8 years later and "competent", but why still go with a 2 year old OS? If I'm gonna upgrade I like to "bite the bullet, pick well, get stuff that lasts, then ride out the ripples of marketing".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version