ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Who is still runnig XP?

<< < (3/7) > >>

40hz:
I don't especially miss the crashes, freezes and BSODs - plus disk corruption!

Seriously it took me a while to move from XP to 7 but there is no way I would move back now and I'd go to Linux before returning to the misery of Windows 98 !!!
-Carol Haynes (January 25, 2013, 10:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

Agree. However, you could do what I did and not wait to be threatened with having to return to Win98 before taking that next step.  ;D

And here I was the person who always thought that Linux (despite my feelings about the philosophy behind it) would always (of necessity) remain my alternate OS. Funny how these things sometime work out. :)

f0dder:
Seriously it took me a while to move from XP to 7 but there is no way I would move back now and I'd go to Linux before returning to the misery of Windows 98 !!!-Carol Haynes (January 25, 2013, 10:56 AM)
--- End quote ---
Same here - and if MS continue too much down the path they've started with Win8, I might (begrudgingly) jump ship... but until that happens, why consider a second-grade OS? :P

wraith808:
Not on my main day-to-day machine, but I have WinXP on my backup machine.  Mostly because it works, and why pay for another license I don't need?  Whenever I get the motivation, it will probably be replaced with SBS, but until then...

40hz:
Seriously it took me a while to move from XP to 7 but there is no way I would move back now and I'd go to Linux before returning to the misery of Windows 98 !!!-Carol Haynes (January 25, 2013, 10:56 AM)
--- End quote ---
Same here - and if MS continue too much down the path they've started with Win8, I might (begrudgingly) jump ship... but until that happens, why consider a second-grade OS? :P
-f0dder (January 25, 2013, 12:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

I pretty much have. All my personal use, and about 75% of my profession use is now running on Linux. Not exactly something I planned on. Or asked for. Windows 8 was the last straw for me. And now that I've transitioned (and very rarely miss Windows now that I have) I doubt I'd move back to Windows even if they dropped Metro, fixed (or stopped playing games with) UEFI/SecureBoot, and rationalized their SKUs.

First rule in customer retention: Never do anything that annoys an existing customer so much they start shopping around. Because once they do there's a good chance they'll be leaving.

In my case, I'm gone. Not so much for technical reasons. Like many here, I've been around the block so many times with this stuff that I know how to work around most technical hassles. What I can't get my head around is the FU attitude I'm seeing from Microsoft about this. It's almost as if the user no longer matters to them - it's an "our way" and "mother knows best" vibe I'm getting. And while I may not be the smartest guy in the room tech-wise, I still don't like being talked down to. Especially when I'm writing the checks.
 :-\

skwire:
Before I built my new computer a few weeks ago, I had been running the same install of XP/32 on my old desktop since April of 2007.  I am now running W7/64 but, since I use an alternate shell and turn off window themes, it looks just like my old desktop.   :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version