ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Who is still runnig XP?

<< < (2/7) > >>

rgdot:
I still use XP on my main pc, but the pc won't last too much longer. Even if MS were to offer to XP updates forever I can see using only 7 (and linux as a side thing) soon-ish.

Speaking of 98, I would take XP, 7 and 2000 over it.

anandcoral:
Most of my project development tools were made on WinXP and they work smooth on Xp than on W7. I can not spend time debugging my tools in W7 as I need to debug my projects and develop them fast. I do not see still after W8, of removing Xp, in fact just reloaded Xp on two systems last week.

I earn (goodwill and cash) faster on Xp and all my projects work fine from Xp onwards.

Regards,

Anand

app103:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it...and anything worth doing is worth doing well. If my XP machines are running fine, I'm going to leave them alone. And if a new OS is worth running, it's worth more on new hardware.

I pretty much have a policy where a new OS = a new PC, one in which the hardware is intended to support that particular OS. And as I can't afford one of those right now, I have to stick with what I have.

Only once did I break that rule, with an old snail PC, and only because I really hated Win98 SE. (WinME was such an improvement in stability, once I worked out a quirky driver issue)

The last PC I purchased, I took advantage of an XP downgrade option, rather than using Vista. And with the additional hardware I recycled and put into that box, I am glad I did. There are no drivers beyond XP for the controller card I installed into it. Upgrading it would mean losing access to the IDE hard drives and the only burner that machine has.

I am also not convinced that all my software would make the transition to a newer version of Windows, smoothly (sorry but XP compatibility mode probably won't cut it for some stuff that was written before XP was released, which already suffer some buggy glitches running on XP). If and when I do decide to buy a new computer with a newer version of Windows, it is very likely I will end up running XP in a VM for a few things I can't live without. (if it wasn't for those few apps and my extreme love for the Windows taskbar, I'd probably make a 100% transition to Linux)

f0dder:
And if a new OS is worth running, it's worth more on new hardware.-app103 (January 25, 2013, 11:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
I mostly agree - however, on most hardware Win7 will probably be a smoother experience than XP SP3 - and Win8, moreso. Heck, I'd even take a (tweaked) version of Vista SP1 over XP SP3... given that there's no driver trouble, of course :)

Dunno about software compatibility, you probably run stuff that's more obscure than I do - but I haven't really come across stuff that didn't work on Vista, Win7 or Win8 - it probably helps that I ran the 64bit version of XP, though, which means I took some compatibility hits up-front, and learned necessary workarounds for software that was CRAPPILY PROGRAMMED.

I'll repeat that, and a bit blunter: software that runs on XP but not on Vista and later is CRAP PROGRAMMED, probably in the Win9x "everybody is an administrator" mentality. Unless an application is doing something Really Special Snowflake style, it really ought to run from Win2k and upwards. But since a lot of developers came from Win9x and never bothered to read the MS guidelines that's been around since, oh, probably pre-NT4, we have a lot of software that's... wank.

Paul Keith:
:greenclp: :greenclp: :greenclp:   Man, if I could like a post, I would like Carol's above. Bravo!!!  :-* :-* :-*  

On a side note, no, I am not running XP but on a handful of systems that are too old to justify loading Win7/Win8 on. I am in the minority that actually enjoys Windows 8 and I am running Windows 7 on my other systems. Like Carol, I have had ZERO issues with 64 bit versions of Windows since XP 64. The issues with XP 64 were developer/hardware manufacturer buy-in and as such the drivers sucked. Likewise, I would NEVER go back to any OS based on the 9x code-base. Microsoft releasing Windows XP and eliminating the antiquated OSes was the best move they could have made for the industry.
-Josh (January 25, 2013, 11:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah DC seriously lacks a like button.  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version