topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:50 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Correct the Win7 Boot Menu, add Winxp entry...!!!  (Read 4921 times)

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Correct the Win7 Boot Menu, add Winxp entry...!!!
« on: January 25, 2013, 01:06 AM »
Hello folks,
               i have a dual aboot system, C: has XP and D: has Win7, although they boot preety well, i did a XP restore in C: yesterday ( for a test ), now this removed the boot menu and showed Press Ctrl+Al+Del during restart: this would mean the boot entry nor the mbr doesn't exist. 

After restoring an XP image it booted straight to xp, now i want the Win7 entry too in the boot menu. I am assuming the WinXP boot menu can't handle this( it may add an entry but it would not boot to Win7), and the Win7 Boot menu, would install certain files in C: when Win7 is being installed (certain files i noticed), the Boot Menu would show the XP entry as Older version of Windows.

So after restoring the XP image i booted from a Win7 Repair Disc and although it corrected the Win7 entry, and after a restart it would boot only to Win7. I had made a backup of bcdfile from the command prompt using Repair disc. Exporting it has no effect, and i tried the bootrec /rebuildbcd /scanos to and other commands , didn't work. It only noticed Win7 in D:

It was only during the Win7 fresh installation, which would make changes to the Boot Menu, and i have no clue how i can replicate that by using a Win7 Repair Disc or Winpe Disc.

Hope my problem is understood, i tried few things about adding the Winxp entry in the boot menu and add certain files in C: as well, it would add an Windows Xp entry but it didn't show in the Boot Menu during restart it would straight boot to Win7.

Can anyone suggest me something, i have been fondling with this question in my mind for a while.Please help me out.
ClipDiary 5.3/ Smadav 2018/ Some Sense

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Correct the Win7 Boot Menu, add Winxp entry...!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 05:48 AM »
So after restoring the XP image i booted from a Win7 Repair Disc and although it corrected the Win7 entry, and after a restart it would boot only to Win7.

Install EasyBCD and add the XP entry back in again.

How to Add Windows XP to Windows 7 Boot Manager Using EasyBCD
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 05:40 PM by 4wd »

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 03:54 AM »
So after restoring the XP image i booted from a Win7 Repair Disc and although it corrected the Win7 entry, and after a restart it would boot only to Win7.

Thank you for that, it worked and , i installed it under Win7 first and the entry exitsted for Winxp. But when i reboot to Win7 after selecting it from the Boot Menu, it would not boot properly, i can see the mouse pointer but the desktop is all blank. I have to call Task Manager to bring it to Desktop. So i boot to Winxp and format D: and later restore Win7 image suprisingly the boot menu exist, even for Win7 and later i would boot to Win7 , no problem.

But i was hoping for a more concrete approach through repair disc or winpe disc. Any chance i can achieve that , by the disc.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 08:50 PM »

...i installed it under Win7 first and the entry exitsted for Winxp.

Did you delete the entry first and then insert it back, (recommended), or just leave it as it was?

But i was hoping for a more concrete approach through repair disc or winpe disc. Any chance i can achieve that , by the disc.

Use bcdedit with the /store parameter but it's easier to boot into 7 and use EasyBCD: Adding Boot Entries

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 11:27 PM »
I had already created an XP entry from Win7 by using these commands:
c:\bcdedit /create {ntldr} /d "Windows XP"
c:\bcdedit /set {ntldr} device partition=D:C:\bcdedit /set {ntldr} path ntldr
c:\bcdedit /displayorder {ntldr} /addlast
This would work if Win7 was in C: and XP in D: But i had other way round, the link you provided i'm going through and taking notes, it looks like it would work , need some time to verify everything. Will holler back.