ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Would a 41 megapixel camera get you to buy a Windows 8 phone?

<< < (3/5) > >>

tomos:
41 megapixels is pure marketing BS. Sure it isn't supposed to read 4.1 ?

Can't remember where I read it but there was a technical article I read a while ago that argued the more pixels actually equals poorer pictures unless you increased the sensor size.
-Carol Haynes (January 24, 2013, 10:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

41 megapixels is correct, but the default is less to decrease noise and improve low-light sensitivity.
-Arizona Hot (February 04, 2013, 09:51 AM)
--- End quote ---
yes to that !
I thought I had posted the same here a while back but must have gotten distracted by something :)

All those MPs are used to increase the quality of a lower resolution image (artifacts and noise can apparently be reduced a lot via averaging).
They're also used to create a 'real' zoom (well, *not* a digital one) - just crop the full res image for a x3 zoom @ 5mp.

So I'd say it sounds good to me - but I'll stick with my camera all the same ;)

f0dder:
All those MPs are used to increase the quality of a lower resolution image (artifacts and noise can apparently be reduced a lot via averaging).-tomos (February 04, 2013, 10:07 AM)
--- End quote ---
Wouldn't it be better to go for a lower mpix input and get a lot less noise to begin with? I'm not much into the tech behind, but I had the impression that the more mpix you try to squeeze out of a (physically too small) CCD, the more noise you get?

tomos:
All those MPs are used to increase the quality of a lower resolution image (artifacts and noise can apparently be reduced a lot via averaging).-tomos (February 04, 2013, 10:07 AM)
--- End quote ---
Wouldn't it be better to go for a lower mpix input and get a lot less noise to begin with? I'm not much into the tech behind, but I had the impression that the more mpix you try to squeeze out of a (physically too small) CCD, the more noise you get?-f0dder (February 05, 2013, 10:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

It would be interesting to see a heads-on comparison:
in the left corner a 5mp sensor vs in the right a 41mp sensor producing 5mp images

Note: in this case, they did use a much larger sensor - disadvantage there being that the phone is a lot thicker because the lens has to be further from a larger sensor.

The main advantage of more MP's with final image @5mp is the zoom capability.

f0dder:
Note: in this case, they did use a much larger sensor - disadvantage there being that the phone is a lot thicker because the lens has to be further from a larger sensor.-tomos (February 05, 2013, 02:34 PM)
--- End quote ---
Those results aren't really comparable, then :)

The main advantage of more MP's with final image @5mp is the zoom capability.-tomos (February 05, 2013, 02:34 PM)
--- End quote ---
Ho humm - digital zooming. I've honestly never really seen good results from that - and if one of the marketing pitches is "we use the insane mpix to resize down to acceptable quality and doing noise filtering stuff", doesn't that imply your image will get noisier and noisier the more you zoom?

Also, is there anybody clever around who knows if there's some big differences between zooming digitally, and the physical-world stuff that happens when you do it through optics?

barney:
Also, is there anybody clever around who knows if there's some big differences between zooming digitally, and the physical-world stuff that happens when you do it through optics?
-f0dder (February 05, 2013, 02:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Don't know that I qualify as clever  :huh:. but I do know a bit about optics.  In the simplest terms, digital zoom basically increases the pixel count [of a specified, smaller area] so that you can kinda, sorta zoom in -focus - on an area of the image - but you are still seeing the same image, just an enhanced area at the same pixel depth.  Optical zoom actually alters the view, so that you now see a magnified version of a much smaller image area.  The digital zoom tries to accomplish what binoculars, telescopes, and macro lenses have been doing for ages.  But it cannot increase what is called depth of field.  Regardless the amount of digital zoom, you still have only the pixel capability of the CCD in your particular device.  Optical zoom provides a true magnification of the given area - it is not pixel-dependent.
(This could probably have been put more clearly, but I've been lagering  :P.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version