ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Screenshot Captor

Feature Request - Option to Cut Selection vs only "Crop To Selection"

(1/3) > >>

cathie28:
AFAIK, only current way to cut a selected area OUT, is select area you want to cut, then choose Invert Selection, then Crop to Selection.
That's extra steps for something I find myself doing quite often - selecting random areas I want to CUT, not keep.  There are many uses for option to have either a "Cut Selected Area" (maybe also  "Cut OUTSIDE Selected Area"), as well as Crop.  But  mainly Cut Selected Area.

The Crop function in SSC & most editors (incl. IrfanView) cut outside selected area, then recenter remainder.
But in SSC, if select an area you want to cut (not Crop to), then invert selection, then Crop, it does NOT recenter remainder.  That's not the only reason to have a Cut Selection option.

Even very old editors as in FastStone Capture 5.3 & others, have both crop & cut (selection) functions.  I use both quite a bit, in a lot of prgms & pretty sure the other prgm devs thought it was a good idea and / or got requests for it.  I use Cut Selection enough that I think it'd be a worthwhile addition to SSC.

Thanks.

cathie28:
Still like to see "Cut Selected Area" option added.  It's all the rage - everyone's doing it !

mouser:
I'm happy to report that SC has a DELUXE ability to do this -- it's just hidden away a bit in the menus.

What you are looking for is the SPLICE OUT feature at the bottom of the SpecialFX2 menu.
(perhaps i should put it in the edit menu?)

You can see a screencast video demonstrating it in action here:

https://www.donationcoder.com/screencasts/dc/3ds/sc16/sc16.html

Let me know what you think.

cathie28:
The splice or splice deluxe tool is very nice, useful for specific purpose, but isn't what I meant.  Not sure there's a way to do what I mean, other than method described below.

Meant  a few possible things.  If just want to cut off one corner - not a vertical / horiz. slice off one side of image.  I guess you could use obfuscate, but I'm talking about actually removing a square or small rectangle from the image (& removing data that must be stored) - but not a strip across the entire width / length.  Don't always want to take a slice off entire width.  Many screenshot / image editors do that.

Or select what I want to cut out of the middle & keep the area around it - the opposite of cropping.  Many apps allow that.

W/ SSC, to cut section(s) out of middle or picture, can make selection (rect., circle, lasso), then invert selection, then crop & it removes selected (inside) area, not crop TO the selected area.
That's OK on a couple of image or couple of areas, but gets old fast on lot of images or numerous cuts on one image.  I'm not sure why "cut selection" or cut outside selection was left out, since it's a common feature in others.  SSC goes well beyond just a screen capture app, more into the editor category.

Maybe if I could read the Options / Preferences screens, I'd figure it out?  :D

tomos:
I'm talking about actually removing a square or small rectangle from the image (& removing data that must be stored)
-cathie28 (August 26, 2013, 11:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
Or select what I want to cut out of the middle & keep the area around it - the opposite of cropping.  Many apps allow that.
-cathie28 (August 26, 2013, 11:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

You cant actually physically remove e.g. a square in the middle of an image - you can remove the pixels in that area, but you have to replace them with *something*.
In SC the only options I know of are:
you can replace them with a blurred or pixelated version of whatever is removed,
or delete to background colour - this option is under "SpecialFX2" menu (works best with simple images in my experience).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version