ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

PicPick vs FastStone Capture vs Screenshot Captor vs Jet Screenshot

<< < (3/3)

crabby3:
My 2 cents-

In defence of PicPick...

The 'constant updates' can be stopped by: Open PicPick Editor, click the file menu in the upper left-hand corner, click Program Options, click About, uncheck the box in front of Check for program updates, then click OK.

The 'crapware bundle' can be unchecked in the Install Wizard during installation. 1 click

EDIT:  As I recall you have to chose Custom Install to avoid the crapware... so maybe it's 2 clicks.

--------------

Personally I don't use all the options.  Just the screen cap and occasionally the Protractor, which doesn't seem to be listed in the dotTech review.

tkh7819:
Just realized that PicPick no longer shows the direct download link on their web page now (I can't find it. Correct me if I am wrong). It was there until recently.
Hope the author won't remove the direct link from their server.

The installer contains crapware, but the option to skip its installation is clear.

I do not know how the preview window behaves. I always use the auto save to file feature and the capture speed of Faststone Capture and PicPick is similar in my opinion.

oblivion:
For what little it's worth -- particularly given that there doesn't seem to be much to choose on the  functionality front -- SC is my preferred option of those mentioned here. I agree that the UI feels perhaps a tiny bit cluttered but it's never let me down yet, it seems to be able to cope well with everything I've ever needed from it, AND, apparently unlike the others with the possible exception of PicPick (which I can't use at work) it has a portable version. [I FAR prefer portable software these days: my preferred computing environment is the one that only exists when I plug in my portable HD and fire up LaunchBarCommander (from which everything else flows!)]

I don't do the scrolling capture thing often, but the one time I needed it (and I badly needed it to work quickly and effectively, can't remember why but it was a big window, maybe four horizontal screens by eight vertical) after not too much effort, I got what I needed.

crabby3:
My 2 cents-

In defence of PicPick...-crabby3 (January 23, 2013, 10:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

FWIW

In the beginning....
I used the screen capture that came with Jasc Paint Shop Pro 9.  It was cumbersome at best because I had to open PSP and keep it running to grab stuff.

Next choice...
Through Gizmos I found Donation Coder and Mouser's SC.  Was much, much better than using PSP but not ideal. (for me anyway)

PicPick...
Don't recall where I found it but... PicPick's initial PNG grab is displayed in ppi... when opened in PSP9... which is what I was looking for and still want.  And the Protractor is equally useful.

For some reason the Minds at Jasc didn't include a Protractor with PSP9.  :huh:  With PicPick I just right-click the tray icon, left-click the Protractor, and there it is... ready to use... anywhere.   :D

Don't know if SC has these features now?   :tellme:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version