ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

WinPatrol Plus or AnVir Task Manager?

(1/6) > >>

Joe Hone:
I have both WinPatrol Plus and AnVir Task Manager installed on my computers but my right brain dominates and I can easily got lost using what to others is routine software. If you have used one or both, what do you like/dislike about it? Strengths or weaknesses? I did do a search here for both programs, but it has been a while and several updates since there was meaningful discussion about either. Each definitely misses things the other catches, and I haven't yet figured out how to harness the full potential of either program. Any opinions? I think this is a timely topic given the current member discount for WinPatrol Plus - and an opportunity to encourage others to check out the other discounts available.     

Curt:
I also use WinPatrol and AnVir Task Manager Pro (both for control of startup),
and Zemana AntiLogger -Curt (April 20, 2012, 05:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

-that was 9 months ago. In the long run I got tired of answering so many pop-up questions, so I stopped trialing so many weird programs, and removed WinPatrol and Zemana. WinPatrol is really fine, but - I don't have the energy right now to go into details - I simply like the pro version of AnVir better. Of course it is not alone, I am also running Outpost Security Suite Pro at the same time.

If one is in the habit of testing many "unknown" programs, or visiting many dubious sites, I will think WinPatrol is a little more strict / trustworthy than AnVir.

cyberdiva:
I've used both WinPatrol Plus and, a couple of years ago, AnVir Task Manager Pro.  I found I much preferred WinPatrol Plus.  AnVir had a number of useful features, but as time went on, I trusted it less and less.  Its "security ratings" of programs on my computer were at times way off base, it offered inappropriately alarming warnings when I tried to delete a program from its startup list, and some of its features turned out to be little more than links to other companies' programs.  I finally removed AnVir from my computer. 

I do have some reservations about WinPatrol Plus as well, especially its inability to provide information about some programs on my computer, but on the whole I find it does a very good job of warning me when programs try to insert themselves into the startup menu without my permission or make some other changes I'm not expecting, and it gives me an easy way to control a number of services and tasks.

wraith808:
I think the inability to provide information about programs isn't related to WinPatrol PLUS, but the program in question.  The information provided is an opt-in sort of thing from the developer; they have to provide that information.  There's some information that can be retrieved from your system, but a lot of it comes from the application in question.

barney:
I think the inability to provide information about programs isn't related to WinPatrol PLUS, but the program in question.  The information provided is an opt-in sort of thing from the developer; they have to provide that information.  There's some information that can be retrieved from your system, but a lot of it comes from the application in question.
-wraith808 (January 18, 2013, 10:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

Wel-l-l-l ... yes, but ...

WinPatrol Plus, every time I restart my system, provides me with ~five (5) dialogs telling me that some unnamed program is trying to start, with two (2) buttons to either permit or deny that particular unnamed application.  Now, I know the program name can be either extracted from the application or from the system.  But, still, every restart, there are those same dialogs.  And I can't even [reliably] isolate them by a process of elimination  :(.  Not that it matters, 'cause WinPatrol provide no way for me to show those elements as safe.  I'm close on to ditching it:  if it cannot/will not tell me what software is trying to run, what else is it missing?  Reliability has become questionable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version