Don't get "snippy" (get it? snippy... snipping... screen capture). Ah, forget it.
Trying to provide positive criticism.
1) Increase height should be default behavior - if caption text line is too long. Probably >80% prefer it.
2) Put options specific to captions formatting, on the captions UI
, not in prefs.
If have options for captions like, "Reduce font size [possibly to 0.5 pt
]" or "Nothing", put them on Captions UI - where easily accessible.
3) Have a standard pop up text entry box w/ the basic, available formatting tools, at top of the text entry box. Similar to any other apps'. Never seen a captions "entry box or
UI" like SSC's. But don't hate SSC. I love's me some SSC.
The one line entry field, w/ tiny font, no line wrap, no idea
of how many characters will fit over the width of current image
- isn't useful.
4) Line returns
(before text reached end of actual caption box) AND allow paragraphs / blank lines, just as
typing in SSC text boxes allows.
** Makes more sense to add them when composing, so caption height will be increased. That's how most caption boxes work.
The pop up
"ellipsis" caption text entry box has an "oddity." I realize this is how someone coded it, but "outdated."
** Hitting Enter, ends editing
& adds caption to image. It should just cause line return, as typing in an SSC text box does.
Now, using Shift + Enter in pop up
caption box, allows line returns & adding blank line
, but then blank lines aren't
displayed, in caption. And no editing caption box. You CAN edit text in a caption; add blank lines - IF room allows - often doesn't.
5) Basically, make like SSC's text entry box, but really needs formatting tools *easily available* - some
where near (as most apps w/ captions do). Same general behavior as every other app w/ caption or text box entry, of any kind. No need for "uniqueness" here.
6) Increase font size on Add Caption UI (& all others). Even if wanted to use the available commands / fields, can't read them.
** Add Caption UI has many good options - it's not like its UI / font HAS to be so small. The UI is resizable / draggable
- but font remains tiny. Make font a bit bigger & open a bigger GUI screen, to begin with.
Whether Mr. M wants to do any of this - ever, is his business, but the way captions works now
is far behind many SSC's features & clumsy compared to some other apps. I'd think captions would be one of most used features. Maybe not. I use them frequently, so usually use something that makes them very
easy - like FastStone 5.3 (ooold free ver).