topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:40 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: PirateBox - Portable FLOSS file sharing network  (Read 5553 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
PirateBox - Portable FLOSS file sharing network
« on: January 15, 2013, 08:30 AM »
Garrr! Got yer PirateBox? Nay? Here be the way!

PirateBox_2-0_Cafe1.jpgPirateBox - Portable FLOSS file sharing network

http://daviddarts.com/piratebox-diy/

PirateBox is a self-contained mobile communication and file sharing device. Simply turn it on to transform any space into a free and open communications and file sharing network.

Share (and chat!) Freely Inspired by pirate radio and the free culture movements, PirateBox utilizes Free, Libre and Open Source software (FLOSS) to create mobile wireless communications and file sharing networks where users can anonymously chat and share images, video, audio, documents, and other digital content.

Private and Secure PirateBox is designed to be private and secure. No logins are required and no user data is logged. Users remain completely anonymous – the system is purposely not connected to the Internet in order to subvert tracking and preserve user privacy.

http://wiki.daviddarts.com/Piratebox

Next week, keelhaulin' Chris Dodds!  :Thmbsup:

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: PirateBox - Portable FLOSS file sharing network
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 08:45 AM »
The perfect use for all those old "underpowered" laptops gathering dust in closets. Plug it in, turn it on, walk away... ;D

images.jpgPirateBox - Portable FLOSS file sharing network

Stealthing it as a WAP is brilliant. They're so ubiquitous these days. How many people would ever notice that there's suddenly one additional WAP in the room they're sitting in?

I'd personally prefer mine, however, with a slice of Raspberry Pi. :-* Boxed up and glued to some out of the way surface (ideally looking like it belonged there  :mrgreen:) - and preferably with access to a solar power source. It would be the ultimate manifestation of an affordable "set & abandon in place" communications network! "Green" too.
:Thmbsup:

tm2.jpg

And as an extra bonus, it would provide hours of additional entertainment value for people who get to watch the "find the unauthorized router/file server" folks show up and look for it. Hee-hee!

------

Note: Just for the record, I don't condone nor excuse people using this technology in order to "share" digital assets for which they don't have a legal right. I do, however, object to the notion (in some quarters) that digital communications are somehow 'different' from every other form of human communication - and are therefor not entitled to protection under existing constitutional rules of free speech. Technology like this is a small bit of insurance when it comes to that.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 09:28 AM by 40hz »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 09:35 AM »
omg...that first picture ^^^ is awesome!  What is that and where do you get it?!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 11:11 AM »
^Top is the punk journalist character Spider Jerusalem from Warren Ellis's cyberpunk graphic novel Transmetropolitan. A good read if you like dystopian cyberpunk.

Vertigo-Comics-Spider-Jerusalem-vertigo-comics-9972728-500-759.jpgPirateBox - Portable FLOSS file sharing network

time-to-be-someone-else.jpgPirateBox - Portable FLOSS file sharing network

tumblr_lxjofd0mYp1qgple6o1_1280.jpgPirateBox - Portable FLOSS file sharing network

Below is uncropped and full size. Check out the detail! :tellme:

transmetropolitan1.jpgPirateBox - Portable FLOSS file sharing network

:) :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 11:17 AM by 40hz »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 11:21 AM »
thanks.  Yes, i love it.  The detail is awesome...also what I was going for in my cartoons.  So another reference for me.

SeraphimLabs

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • Be Ready
    • View Profile
    • SeraphimLabs
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 11:51 AM »
Sounds like a return of the infamous Bluebox.

For those of you who remember Phreaking, you probably know what I'm talking about.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 12:39 PM »
^I do. But the BlueBox was used to generate operator tones that would allow you place calls or access long distance without going through a "Ma Bell" operator and paying for a call. There were also other colored boxes (including the much feared by telco security Vermilion+Gold box combination punch) that did "other" things too. Please don't ask how I know that. ;D

This is a little more like the Fido BBS system in that it allows communications and file sharing between users without the communications being mediated or provided by a 3rd party since they're basically built into an automated host device.

I'm waiting to see if they eventually create a mechanism to mesh all these little babies together (very doable btw) and effectively create a localized broadband channel that doesn't use the telephone system or state/corporate sponsored internet/WAN backbone.

Now that would be a true 'pirate' network. Tom Jennings (self-proclaimed anarchist and FidoNet's creator) would have loved it.
 8) :Thmbsup:

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 08:41 PM »
Great stuff!

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 08:59 PM »
Great stuff!

You mean the cartoons, the PirateBox, or keelhauling Chris Dodds? ;D
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker