ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

PirateBox - Portable FLOSS file sharing network

(1/2) > >>

Renegade:
Garrr! Got yer PirateBox? Nay? Here be the way!

http://daviddarts.com/piratebox-diy/

PirateBox is a self-contained mobile communication and file sharing device. Simply turn it on to transform any space into a free and open communications and file sharing network.

Share (and chat!) Freely Inspired by pirate radio and the free culture movements, PirateBox utilizes Free, Libre and Open Source software (FLOSS) to create mobile wireless communications and file sharing networks where users can anonymously chat and share images, video, audio, documents, and other digital content.

Private and Secure PirateBox is designed to be private and secure. No logins are required and no user data is logged. Users remain completely anonymous – the system is purposely not connected to the Internet in order to subvert tracking and preserve user privacy.

--- End quote ---

http://wiki.daviddarts.com/Piratebox

Next week, keelhaulin' Chris Dodds!  :Thmbsup:

40hz:
The perfect use for all those old "underpowered" laptops gathering dust in closets. Plug it in, turn it on, walk away... ;D

Stealthing it as a WAP is brilliant. They're so ubiquitous these days. How many people would ever notice that there's suddenly one additional WAP in the room they're sitting in?

I'd personally prefer mine, however, with a slice of Raspberry Pi. :-* Boxed up and glued to some out of the way surface (ideally looking like it belonged there  :mrgreen:) - and preferably with access to a solar power source. It would be the ultimate manifestation of an affordable "set & abandon in place" communications network! "Green" too.
:Thmbsup:

And as an extra bonus, it would provide hours of additional entertainment value for people who get to watch the "find the unauthorized router/file server" folks show up and look for it. Hee-hee!

------

Note: Just for the record, I don't condone nor excuse people using this technology in order to "share" digital assets for which they don't have a legal right. I do, however, object to the notion (in some quarters) that digital communications are somehow 'different' from every other form of human communication - and are therefor not entitled to protection under existing constitutional rules of free speech. Technology like this is a small bit of insurance when it comes to that.

superboyac:
omg...that first picture ^^^ is awesome!  What is that and where do you get it?!

40hz:
^Top is the punk journalist character Spider Jerusalem from Warren Ellis's cyberpunk graphic novel Transmetropolitan. A good read if you like dystopian cyberpunk.

Below is uncropped and full size. Check out the detail! :tellme:

:) :Thmbsup:

superboyac:
thanks.  Yes, i love it.  The detail is awesome...also what I was going for in my cartoons.  So another reference for me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version