topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:16 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Where I'm from! (was Re: Suggestion: Stop Hiding those Licence Keys!)  (Read 3773 times)

beanfoto2

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
And you wouldn't like the chocolate here, but the postcards are a possibility the next time I'm in a touristy area, ( I really do live in China). DVDs are cheep, cheep cheep, which is what George dubble yah is prob'ly saying to Premier Hu as I write, but the supply of even blockbusters can be unpredictable,and the English subtitles can be both laughable and puzzling.
The one thing I could almost cetainly send are Chinese girls looking for lao wai, (foreigner) husbands, but they do tend to insist on air holes in the packaging...
 8)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Where I'm from! (was Re: Suggestion: Stop Hiding those Licence Keys!)
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 08:46 AM »
And you wouldn't like the chocolate here

I'm in the UK.  The landlord of my local pub likes Chinese beer.  He knows because he did a charity cycle ride in China.  And a lady photographer I once met said she liked it too...

But I doubt it would get through the customs to mouser  :D

beanfoto2

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 08:29 AM »
Gee, I jus' lurve you're lil' ole country.

Well, actually,y'know, I'm English.
I presume that the rules here on " off topic' are fairly relaxed...

And so, on to Chinese beer.

I have spent time in the YOU ESSE OF HAY, and Chinese beer resembles the worst of their beer.

It's strictly of the " straight in, straight out" lager variety, with virtually NO individuality.

I can't tell the difference between the cheapest and that costing 3 times as much, ( that's a range of 20p - 60p a litre). Nor the products of breweries about 750miles apart

They have absolutely NO draft beers.

The locally produced Guinness clone, ( 20pee a can as opposed to 1 damn where is the pound on this keyboard.50 for the imported genuine article),  tastes the same as real Guinness, but the head soon vanishes and you're left with a suspiciously caramelly coating on your tankard when you've "supped up".
Oh, and like the above lagers, it's made from RICE.

But the can is coloured beige and dark brown to remind you of the real stuff, and does, and even the brewery could not tell you why, bear the date "1759"

Bear in mind tho' that these are the personal opinions of a tee total Buddhist, ( I only drink Guanzhou's pineapple shandy for sore throats and the Guinness for the vitamin B12 when I need it, ( I'm also a vegan, and B12 is in short supply)).

What else did you find out about the lady photographer?

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 04:33 AM »
I have spent time in the YOU ESSE OF HAY, and Chinese beer resembles the worst of their beer.

A Brit I vaguely know who's a long-time US resident sometimes drinks Miller Light as it's the only one he likes.  You can find proper breweries here and there, but you have to know where they are.

It's strictly of the " straight in, straight out" lager variety, with virtually NO individuality.

They also told me Chinese beer wasn't like our beer  ;)

Bear in mind tho' that these are the personal opinions of a tee total Buddhist, ( I only drink Guanzhou's pineapple shandy for sore throats and the Guinness for the vitamin B12 when I need it, ( I'm also a vegan, and B12 is in short supply)).

And in Buddhist Tibet they eat yaks, partly because they haven't always got anything else...

<phew> talk about boldly going off topic where no man has gone behind before...

What else did you find out about the lady photographer?

She's now 80, and writes books about education...