ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

PirateBox - Portable FLOSS file sharing network

<< < (2/2)

SeraphimLabs:
Sounds like a return of the infamous Bluebox.

For those of you who remember Phreaking, you probably know what I'm talking about.

40hz:
^I do. But the BlueBox was used to generate operator tones that would allow you place calls or access long distance without going through a "Ma Bell" operator and paying for a call. There were also other colored boxes (including the much feared by telco security Vermilion+Gold box combination punch) that did "other" things too. Please don't ask how I know that. ;D

This is a little more like the Fido BBS system in that it allows communications and file sharing between users without the communications being mediated or provided by a 3rd party since they're basically built into an automated host device.

I'm waiting to see if they eventually create a mechanism to mesh all these little babies together (very doable btw) and effectively create a localized broadband channel that doesn't use the telephone system or state/corporate sponsored internet/WAN backbone.

Now that would be a true 'pirate' network. Tom Jennings (self-proclaimed anarchist and FidoNet's creator) would have loved it.
 8) :Thmbsup:

kyrathaba:
Great stuff!

Renegade:
Great stuff!
-kyrathaba (January 15, 2013, 08:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

You mean the cartoons, the PirateBox, or keelhauling Chris Dodds? ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version