ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Reddit co-founder Aaron Swartz dies at 26

<< < (2/3) > >>

wraith808:
I think I'll post my response in the basement...

oblivion:
I have obviously spent a very long time with my head under a rock. I spent some time today, having seen this post here and deciding I needed to know more about the whys and wherefores of this, reading various news reports, analyses and the like, and found out a lot that I don't think I'd properly realised about the US justice system. Despite paying a fair amount of attention to the Bradley Manning case, I somehow felt it was the exception rather than the rule.

Clearly, I was wrong.

Even though I'm currently reading a polemic disguised as a work of fiction by Cory Doctorow (Pirate Cinema, got it via the Humble ebook Bundle, and very good it is too), who has also written this tribute, I hadn't quite got to grips with the pervasive nature of the concept of "intellectual property" and the way the legal industry has found to keep itself in dollars by continually redefining crime in its respect in more and more abstruse ways.

And although the treatment of Aaron Swartz by the US justice system is utterly reprehensible, I'm quite sure there's no room for complacency for those of us who aren't US citizens.

I hope some lessons are being or will be learned.

But I fear they will not be. There's too many lawyers' jobs on the line. :(

Renegade:
...this tribute...-oblivion (January 13, 2013, 06:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Excellent read.

mouser:
Long good post from a friend about Schwartz and his politics and how the system is corrupt and is betraying us:

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2013/01/aaron-swartzs-politics.html

Aaron Swartz was my friend, and I will always miss him. I think it’s important that, as we remember him, we remember that Aaron had a much broader agenda than the information freedom fights for which he had become known. Most people have focused on Aaron’s work as an advocate for more open information systems, because that’s what the Feds went after him for, and because he’s well-understood as a technologist who founded Reddit and invented RSS. But I knew a different side of him. I knew Aaron as a political activist interested in health care, financial corruption, and the drug war (we were working on a project on that just before he died). He was a great technologist, for sure, but when we were working together that was not all I saw...
--- End quote ---

wraith808:

Can't really argue with this...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version