ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Q: Java for Safari on iPhone4?

(1/3) > >>

Curt:
I expect (but doesn't know) millions of people must have Safari on their iPhone 4, because my girlfriend's phone came with Safari by default. So how come Java is not available for it? What do all these people do when Java is a must? Or more to the point, what should I tell my Safari-on-iPhone 4-using girlfriend to do, when Java is required? Or is the problem maybe only her phone? I am really in the dark here, just navigating on her iPhone is a huge problem to me, her phone has really made me a smart phone hater! How can these micro people even talk about progress? This "small-is-good" technology is all one step forward and two steps backwards!!
 :tellme:

eleman:
What do all these people do when Java is a must?
-Curt (January 12, 2013, 06:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Is Java really a must?

It's just a memory-leak-rich framework lazy developers use when they don't want to make a proper port but want to claim they support n platforms.

I don't allow java browser plug-ins even on my desktop machine. Would anyone need it as a must on a too small to be useful screen?

Renegade:
http://www.iphonefaq.org/archives/9731

Does the iPhone support Java?

No. The iPhone will not support Java applications of any kind. Steve Jobs has been quoted as saying "Java's not worth building in. Nobody uses Java anymore. It's this big heavyweight ball and chain."

We can't disagree with the last part of Jobs' scathing remark, but stating that Java doesn't get used anymore couldn't be farther from the truth - especially in the world of mobile devices.
--- End quote ---

That being said...

If you are a developer, there are ways. But that's another can of worms.

I just went through 2 days of hell to find out that my pain was entirely because of a Java bug. I'm not a huge Java lover, but I'm not a huge hater either. Any framework or platform or technology will cause you pain.

That 2 days should have been 2 hours, if that much.

Curt:
Thank you, Renegade, for the answer. It never crossed my mind that iPhone wouldn't support Java - the very idea seems unthinkable! The reason is the simple one that in Denmark we use the Internet for communicating with the authorities, and to log in to our personnel tax account, and of course to use net-banking, etcetera, and each and every one of these services takes that the user has Java! Right now I am not too sure if Steve Jobs must be the idiot, or if the Danes are the idiots, or both.
 :-\

Ath:
and each and every one of these services takes that the user has Java!
-Curt (January 12, 2013, 08:47 AM)
--- End quote ---
Sure it's not JavaScript they're requiring? (Java is not JavaScript and reverse)

I'm not in DK, but I've had no Java plug-in installed in my browsers for years (though I have Java installed and I use it), and I can't remember any sites that wouldn't work because of it missing. :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version