ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Microsoft Surface RT - I got one.

(1/2) > >>

allen:
I've made it no secret that I have embraced the direction Microsoft has headed lately. When the Surface RT was announced, I immediately fell in love with the hardware form factor and had used Windows 8 enough to know that touch input was the way to go. Darn things are expensive though. . .

Just after the Holidays I saw an offer from billmelater for no interest on purchases of 500 bucks if paid for within a year . . . I just couldn't resist and pulled the trigger.

My biggest fear was buyer's remorse. . . but man, I love this thing. More than I'd hoped to. The touch gestures, once learned, are incredibly natural and intuitive. It's the first time I've felt this comfortable with an interface since WebOS. The hardware is very beautifully designed and it's clearly a high quality/well assembled machine.

Most of the time, I'm just in the Modern (Metro) UI. It's excellent for simple "tablet" functionality. I browse the web (these forums at this very moment), read email, mind my social networks . . . pretty much everything except programming.  It's the best tablet by far I've ever plopped down on the couch with.

Before I'd actually had my hands on this thing, I kind of wished that Microsoft had not included the ability to access the full desktop on the RT devices. It looked like it was going to be a jarring blemish on the elegant "Modern" interface. Now that I've spent time with the device, I no longer feel that way at all. I never see the desktop unless I want to--but it's great knowing it's there. I've got the full version of office at my disposal, as well as all the standard Windows default applications from calculator to power shell. I can plugin a USB hub with mouse and keyboard and it's like a laptop. I don't spend much time on the desktop--but like I said, it's nice to know it's there. Personally, I was mostly in the market for a tablet not a computer replacement. As it turned out, I'm getting a lot more productivity out of it than I planned. When I need to write something, I love grabbing this and a keyboard and finding somewhere more comfortable than my desk to get it done.

The Surface RT certainly is not for everybody but I sure do love it.

Renegade:
You're giving me gear-lust... must... resist... :P

barney:
-Renegade (January 11, 2013, 10:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hee, hee ... what are you gonna do when my Lenovo Yoga gets here and I start bragging about that  :-\ :P :P :P?

Renegade:
-Renegade (January 11, 2013, 10:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hee, hee ... what are you gonna do when my Lenovo Yoga gets here and I start bragging about that  :-\ :P :P :P?
-barney (January 11, 2013, 10:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Looks like I'll need to earn more money! Anyone feel like buying some audio software to help them learn how to play new songs? :D

tomos:
This review was extremely positive as well -
A month with my Surface RT

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version