ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Electric shock from USB cable

(1/8) > >>

Fred Nerd:
Has anyone else got an electric shock from a USB cable?

Anyone died?

I have my laptop setup on my desk, and since I have always been too busy/lazy to get a USB hub, I am constantly unplugging things, these unplugged cables often hang over the edge of the desk at knee height. A couple of times I've bumped then and thought 'sharp edge on that' but today I took a closer look at the offending plug and it wasn't sharp, it was giving my nice little blue sparks.....
It's the cord that goes to my old printer, and I figure since the printer is plugged into the wall, it must be leaking a bit of power back into the cable.
It still works fine, and I haven't died yet, but I will be wary in case it gets worse (will try to refrain from sucking it.....).

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

IainB:
Sounds like it's an AC shock. You might have a bad Earth, a Live leak ("dirty" Neutral voltage) or a short somewhere - maybe in your printer if it only happens when that is connected.(?)
Many domestic appliances do not have an Earth wire, and are Earthed to the chassis, expecting Neutral to provide an Earth. The sort of problem you describe can often happen if you don't have a positive multiple earth in your electrical mains (or ringmain circuit, if you have one), and, assuming no problems in the appliance, generally occurs where the power wiring you are plugged into is ancient or incorrectly installed/faulty or just has a bad Earth.
When I have travelled around in SE Asia it was a common problem, and I used to do a kludge fix by connecting the Neutral to the Earth wire in the socket that fed my laptop. If that didn't blow the mains fuse, it would usually fix the problem, but only if the Earth was a true Earth.
Definitely NOT recommended though, if you are not very familiar with electrical circuits. You really first need a multimeter and then go around checking for polarity, DC/AC, current and voltages. Doing it blindly is potentially dangerous to your health/life and could damage the equipment. I always carry a multimeter with me on my travels, as part of my standard toolset. Can come in very useful.

AndyM:
If that didn't blow the mains fuse,
-IainB (January 11, 2013, 04:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
;D ;D ;D

wraith808:
It still works fine, and I haven't died yet, but I will be wary in case it gets worse (will try to refrain from sucking it.....).
-Fred Nerd (January 11, 2013, 04:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'd... replace it before then.  That's just me.  I don't do sparks.  And I don't take a chance with electricity.  For me or my devices.

40hz:
-Fred Nerd (January 11, 2013, 04:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'd... replace it before then.  That's just me.  I don't do sparks.  And I don't take a chance with electricity.  For me or my devices.
-wraith808 (January 11, 2013, 08:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Agree. Edison Roulette is not a game you want to play.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version