ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

A Gift for the Hackers - Documentary

<< < (3/8) > >>

Stoic Joker:
You could probably find some by searching on "hp printer remote exploit".-Renegade (January 09, 2013, 05:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Dude, seriously ... What makes you thing I don't already spend half my typical day doing that search already..?

:D

Renegade:
You could probably find some by searching on "hp printer remote exploit".-Renegade (January 09, 2013, 05:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Dude, seriously ... What makes you thing I don't already spend half my typical day doing that search already..?

-Stoic Joker (January 09, 2013, 05:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hahahah! Nope! I already figured that you knew that - it was a joke for you, and just banter for everyone else. :D

superboyac:
I went ballistic over ePrint the first time I saw it. I'm constantly warning clients about this sort of thing and the risk it presents.-40hz (January 09, 2013, 01:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

I grilled the HP rep (at one of their tech shows) for an hour about that when it first came out. It works via passive polling, so the printer just checks its own Email address via the HP cloud server (which is where your print jobs are actually sent (eek!)). so over all it (ePrint) isn't really that bad.
-Stoic Joker (January 09, 2013, 02:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, it was "explained" that way to me too, and I wasn't all that concerned at that point. Just annoyed. What I really took issue with was what it represented since I figured it was just the tip of the iceberg if it went over well on the consumer level. The concerns with Ricoh over their big networked scanners were a lot more serious since about half my clients use those. I still have to argue with clients about why they really needed to put up with the "hassle" of using passwords on those. Especially when the big boss's assistant keeps bitching about having to enter a 4-dgit PIN ("It's soooo hard to remember those things!") to scan or make a copy - which is much the same thing on these devices. Even worse is fighting with them about why they really do want to require a PIN in order to directly e-mail something from one of these puppies.

8)

It most likely requires/leverages UPnP which is another insanely dangerous idea that I immediately disable on sight.
-Stoic Joker (January 09, 2013, 02:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1. Don't even get me going on that bit of software engineering brilliance. ;D

-40hz (January 09, 2013, 02:29 PM)
--- End quote ---
are you saying it's not a good idea to enable upnp on residential routers?

Stoic Joker:
-superboyac (January 09, 2013, 05:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Dear god man, please add a smiley, sarcasm tag, or something to that.. (you're scaring the hell outta me)

superboyac:
-superboyac (January 09, 2013, 05:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Dear god man, please add a smiley, sarcasm tag, or something to that.. (you're scaring the hell outta me)

-Stoic Joker (January 09, 2013, 05:54 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'll take that as a no. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version