topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 1:18 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: [solved] FARR freeze after quick repeat of dolaunch appcap alias  (Read 4047 times)

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm trying to make an alias that continuously pipes the FARR alias regex match text to an autohotkey script, the script processes that input and outputs a html file that in turn is after save refreshed in FARR. But I've run into a freeze problem.

Here is an easy way to reproduce it:
1. make this alias:
1000>>>x>->dolaunch appcap C:\test.exe>+>^x(\d*)
2. compile this autohotkey code into C:\test.exe
test = 1
3. open FARR and type x and then quickly type a string of numbers (with multiple keypresses).
FARR will now maximize its CPU (for one core) and no new commands are possible. To break the freeze a shutdown from the task manager is needed.

I've tried a few other alias designs using alternative commands but didn't find one that did all the things in the first sentence above.

I tried the below alias command chain together with an autohotkey line that saves the command line input to C:\test.html but the html doesn't reliably refresh after each run. I want to avoid adding delay/sleep times if possible.
dolaunch showhtml . ;;; C:\test.exe "$$1" ;;; showfilehtml C:\test.html

Edit: Mouser has fixed it in Version 2.206.01  :Thmbsup:
[BugFix] AppCap function could hang FARR if it was repeatedly invoked many times per second.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 01:22 PM by Nod5 »

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: [solved] FARR freeze after quick repeat of dolaunch appcap alias
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 02:20 PM »
As a follow up, while troubleshooting I also discovered a tiny issue that I hadn't run into before: when you make a regex alias any string in the first editbox in the Edit Group Alias window is still active in FARR. That can give unexpected effects when using dolaunch and regex subpatterns. To see it, try this:
1000>>>x>->dolaunch showmemo $$1>+>^x(\w+)$
type: x  FARR displays: $$1  <--- caused by the non regex alias
type: xa  FARR displays: a
type: xabc  FARR displays: abc
Is it by design or unintended that the non-regex alias is used even after a regex alias has been set up? Clearing the first editbox removes the effect of course. But putting text in that editbox is handy as a name the alias, for easy browsing through the list of aliases later on.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 05:30 PM »
it is by design -- it's sometimes useful, though can be confusing and awkward.

best thing to do, as you've probably guessed, is to give it a more elaborate name so that it's not accidentally matching what user types.

i suppose one could make the case that it really shouldn't be treated as an exact match in this case, so wouldn't trigger the dolaunch.. let me consider that..

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 10:44 AM »
Ok. It is no problem really, I was just curious. I added a string of random letters at the end in that box. Then there's no unwanted matching and browsing is not impeded.