Home | Blog | Software | Reviews and Features | Forum | Help | Donate | About us
topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • December 04, 2016, 10:34:27 PM
  • Proudly celebrating 10 years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: New Discounts for a New Year - January 2013  (Read 8054 times)

wraith808

• Joined in 2006
  • "In my dreams, I always do it right."
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
New Discounts for a New Year - January 2013
« on: January 07, 2013, 12:24:38 PM »
The discount/giveaway area has sort of stagnated, so I offered to take things over.  I didn't know what I was getting myself into - thanks to Carl for handling this for so long!

Several companies have been very generous with their software and time for this grand-reopening of the Member Discounts section, so I want to take the time to thank them, first of all.  We have quite the roundup; most are discounted from today (January 7th, 2013) to the end of the month, though some in their generosity will go further.  But take advantage of their generosity as soon as possible!  And remember to give feedback and review the software that you purchase if you feel so inclined; this will help others that visit the site and are interested in the software, and the 'founders of the feast'.

The actual discounts will be posted in the members area of the site; there is a low bar for membership, but this is done to help with securing the discounts as some of our sponsors are understandably concerned about having the discounts available to just anyone that happens by.  Our generous sponsors have also provided a limited number of free copies of the software; these will be randomly given away next Monday, January 14th.  More on those, and how to enter are in a different thread.  

Also take note that this software was brought to my attention by discussions on the site, and suggestions from members.  If you have any ideas for future discounts/giveaways, post them in this thread.

And now, without further ado, on to the discounts!

Utilities

WinPatrol PLUS

wpstartup640.jpg

WinPatrol PLUS is one of those pieces of software that you don't really know that you need until you need it.  It monitors running processes on your machine, and notifies you if there's a change in this profile that you might not be aware of.  There's been several discussions on this software on Donation Coder over the years, and its a piece of software that I wouldn't do without.  There's been some recent updates to help with Windows 8 integration and add new features.

BillP has generously offered a 50% discount to our users.

Hard Disk Sentinel

mainwindow.jpg

Hard Disk Sentinel is another one of those utilities that you don't realize you need until you need it.  It monitors your HDD (as the name implies).  But it does so much more.  IainB wrote a mini-review extolling the praises of this indispensable piece of software.  But I can sum it up by saying that if your time on your computer is valuable, and your data stored there is also, that you don't want to be without hard disk sentinel pro.  It is not only reactive to problems that you might have, but proactive in diagnosing problems that could occur.

I am happy to say that HDS is offering a generous 50% off during this giveaway.

StartMenuX

One of the topics of discussion these days is of course Windows 8 and the decision to remove the start menu.  With StartMenuX you don't have to choose either/or; you can have Windows 8 and your start menu.  I've actually used a couple of iterations of this software, when it wasn't a necessity, and just beefed up the Windows XP start menu.  With each iteration of Windows, this becomes more an more of a have to have.  It's not just for Windows 8 users either- it really increases the usability of every version of Windows up to an including Windows 8.

OrdinarySoft has generously offered a 50% discount to our users.

Editors and Note Taking

CintaNotes

cintanotes.png

CintaNotes is no stranger to the members at DonationCoder; its merits have been well discussed on our huge Notetaking thread, and it has come out as a favorite for many.  It is an example of, in my opinion, a very well designed application that does what it says it does (help you take notes and organize them), and doesn't get in your way while doing so.  As you type searching, tagging, and synchronization are just a few of the features that help with this.

I am happy to say that CintaNotes is being offered at a generous 60% discount.

Page Four

pagefour_small.png

If I can credit one piece of software with getting me on the road to successfully completing NaNoWriMo this past year, I would have to say it was Page Four.  Until I started using it, I didn't realize that there were special needs for writing software.  The ability to import word documents into a project format for your novel was key in getting me to transition to something more fitting than word.  From there the ability to organize my novel like I do any other project- into chapters and segments, with notes about the characters and outlines of my thoughts helped me to become more organized.  And the ability to create snapshots and roll back my work taught me that source control isn't just for programming, but versions of your writing can help when you need to retrench and take a different direction without throwing the baby out with the bathwater.  

It's definitely become an integral part of my writing process, and I am happy to say that Bad Wolf Software has offered a 50% discount for the month of January.

Developer Tools

HippoEDIT

hippoedit.png

A text editor for programmers, I picked this up a while ago on a whim.  Whenever I need to edit/browse code and don't want to fire up Visual Studio, I've found myself looking to HippoEDIT.  First of all, it's fast.  It has syntax highlighting for many languages, and support for adding others.  Customizeable keyboard schemes, a workspace that's flexible, outlining, templates, and many more features make up this powerful editor with the memorable name.

This month, we have HippoEDIT at a 50% discount.

TopStyle 5

topstyle.png

I hate working in CSS, so finding TopStyle was a dream come true.  It helped me to visualize a lot of what frustrated me with CSS in a dynamic fashion, as it updated as I changed stylesheets.  Dealing with different versions of CSS and different browsers is made so much easier using TopStyle to design and edit my CSS.  With support for HTML5 and insight (intellisense) support, I no longer fear when I see a file with the .CSS extension.

Thank you to TopStyle for the generous 50% discount.

That's the round-up on our discounts.  Thank you to our generous sponsors for their efforts!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 07:50:03 PM by mouser »

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: New Discounts for a New Year - January 2013
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 12:40:09 PM »
Excellent offerings! Thanks  :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 12:46:33 PM »
Let's all give wraith a *HUGE* thank you for organizing all of these discounts and being so generous with his time, writing them up, contacting companies, etc.  It's a lot more work than you would think and it's much appreciated.

THANK YOU!

kunkel321

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 01:32:49 PM »
Very cool!  Thanks for the round up!

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 03:09:55 PM »
Very nice lineup :-*.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 06:21:22 PM »
Big thanks to wraith808 for all the time and effort.

Big thanks, too, to all of the companies taking part. I hope that there are benefits for them in terms of both direct sales and word-of-mouth recommendations. A lot of DC members are 'go to' people for a wider computer-user audience.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • The Blog of Deozaan
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 05:40:08 AM »
Thank you wraith for organizing this. And yes, thank you to the generous developers who offered their products at a discount for us. :Thmbsup:

omnray

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 12:14:15 AM »
> on our huge Notetaking thread
Can somebody give a link?

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 04:20:48 AM »

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 03:19:54 PM »
Thanks wraith808 for reviving the members discounts section! :Thmbsup:

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 07:16:11 PM »
Good work, Wraith!

Also, wow, TopStyle is still alive? It's been ages since I saw that program the first time (and back then, it was a wonderful thing - luckily I haven't had to do much CSS since). Also leads to "wow, are anybody still using CSS?" - less and all :-)
- carpe noctem

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 08:18:36 PM »
Good work, Wraith!

Also, wow, TopStyle is still alive? It's been ages since I saw that program the first time (and back then, it was a wonderful thing - luckily I haven't had to do much CSS since). Also leads to "wow, are anybody still using CSS?" - less and all :-)

Not much of a fan of less (prolly 'cause I just don't know enough about it  :-\), but been using TopStyle since approximately forever.  TopStyle 5 likes CSS3 and HTML5, as well as JS/PHP/SQL/ASP.  Just downloaded v.5.0.0.87, in fact, tonight.  All in all, TopStyle is a kick-ass piece of software for my usages.

wraith808

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 09:18:07 AM »
Not much of a fan of less (prolly 'cause I just don't know enough about it  :-\), but been using TopStyle since approximately forever.  TopStyle 5 likes CSS3 and HTML5, as well as JS/PHP/SQL/ASP.  Just downloaded v.5.0.0.87, in fact, tonight.  All in all, TopStyle is a kick-ass piece of software for my usages.

I could have written that same thing.  After tranglos posted about less and more in the discount thread, I looked it up to see what was going on with it.  Looks like a completely different animal, and with Topstyle solving my CSS problems, and me being primarily a .NET developer, (and not being sure if MVC would even support less), I'll just stick with TopStyle, thanks :)

JoTo

• Super Honorary
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 10:01:55 AM »
Hi wrath,

i was looking at TopStyle years ago. But it was not visual impaired friendly then and so i was sadly forced to uninstall and forget about it, even when i was so impressed about the helping hand TopStyle is offering.

Now, cause of the generous offering the developer grants to us i was willing to install it again for a second run. And what can i say? It's great now...99% of the GUI colors can be customized now and most parts are visible to me now. Woohooo!  :Thmbsup:

Now let me calculate a bit:
Usable for me + generous discount + eagerly want this great app = PURCHASE! :))))

Thank you so much for your effort to get this discount, thank you to the developer company for the generousity and the customizabilty of TopStyle. So thats a win for all. I get a wonderful CSS Editor for a small price, DC get another great discount to offer and the company gets another purchased license, money (even if it's a bit less - but otherwise they would have got nothing i think :) ) and maybe some update fees in the future.

Now i have to run. But tomorrow i'll check out how to get TopStyle with DonationCoder-Discount. Can't wait to use it. :)

Greetings
JoTo

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 11:46:27 AM »
image.jpg

wraith808

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 12:10:50 PM »
Thanks Nosh... I've lined up two, so that will be a third, hopefully.  I'll give them a ping when I get home.